four

Athena had listened patiently as Coulson ranted to her about Thor - or Donald Blake, apparently - but all she could think about was the journal she spent the night reading through. Jane Foster without a doubt was an extremely intelligent woman but she lacked certain knowledge. Athena sighed and realised that Coulson was still talking, she didn't realise that he was so upset. Eventually he was called for and Athena was left alone.

She walked out towards where her car - Tony's car - was parked. When no one stopped her, she shrugged and started the car. Once she was out of the investigation site, she hit a button on the steering wheel to call Tony.

"Good afternoon, my darling girlfriend, who has not called me since she left the county." Tony answered the phone in his own unique way. Athena smiled and laughed at his greeting.

"Good afternoon, my darling boyfriend, who has not even attempted to contact me since I left the county." Athena retorted teasingly. She knew that Tony was only teasing her but she also knew that he could be quite clingy sometimes.

"I've been busy." Tony whined over the speaker and she heard something - maybe a screwdriver - fall on the ground, followed by a curse from Tony. "I miss you."

"I miss you too, darling." Athena cooed over the phone before taking a sharp left on the road that she nearly missed, that too was followed by a curse.

"You're a terrible driver." Tony commented, knowing exactly what had just happened. "Which reminds me. How dare you take one of my babies?"

"You love your cars more than you love me." Athena complained, strumming her fingers across the wheel in front of her. "And at least I don't drive like a mad man like you do."

"My driving is perfectly safe." Tony protested and another clatter of noise echoed through the speaker. "I think I broke my toe."

Athena snorted at his comment. "Can you move it?"

"Yes but it hurts." Tony complained and she could just imagine the pout on his face. "Can you come home and kiss it better?"

"I'm not kissing your foot." Athena immediately claimed.

"Yeah, that would be weird." Tony mumbled and then she could hear him shout for Pepper.

"Put some ice on it." Athena ordered Tony before releasing that she had driven past where she wanted to go. "Dammit."

"That's a good idea. PEPPER!!" Athena cringed as Tony yelled particularly loud. "I need ice!"

Athena managed to turn the car around and she continued her conversation. "Anyway, the reason I called -"

"So you didn't call to talk to your loving partner, who you haven't seen in ages." Tony cut over her and she could hear the grin in his voice.

"It hasn't been that long, Tony." Athena commented, pulling the car up into a car park. "Do you know an astrophysicists named Jane Foster?"

Tony hummed to himself before answering. "Uh, yeah. I think I've heard of her, why?"

"SHIELD stole - confiscated - a load of shit from her. I want to know why." Athena explained, fixing her lipstick in the car mirror.

"I don't know much about her but I can get JARVIS to dig some dirt up." Tony offered and then started hissing. "Christ, Pepper! That hurts."

Athena rolled her eyes at his dramatics and sighed. "No, leave it to me. I'll talk to you soon, promise."

"You pinky promise?"

"Yes, you dork." Athena laughed and she could hear Pepper sniggering in the background. "See you and best of luck Pepper."

"What do you mean best of-" Athena ended the call and smiled while shaking her head. She climbed out of the car and made her way up to the building. She looked around her and saw some vehicles outside. She knocked on the door waited for an answer.

The door swung open to reveal a pretty brunette. Her mouth fell open as she gaped at the blonde woman in front of her. "You-you're Athena Olympus. Oh my god, I can't believe this. You're here! Why are you here?"

Athena blinked at the ramblings of the brunette and smiled kindly. "You are Jane Foster?"

The woman - Jane - nodded frantically with wide eyes. Athena smiled again. "This is yours then?"

Athena held out the journal and Jane stared at it in shock. "That's my book. Where - how?"

Athena went to explain but a booming voice interrupted her, followed by a groan. "Who is at the door?"

Thor bounded up to the door and stuck his head out to look at the visitor. He grinned, revealing all his perfectly straight white teeth. "Lady Athena! So good to see you again."

Jane looked between the two unnaturally good looking people. "You know each other?"

Thor nodded and smiled. "Yes. I grew up on the stories of Athena and her siblings. My father admired her battle strategies immensely, even used some in his battles."

"Would you please all shut up!" A groggy voice yelled from inside, sounding suspiciously hungover.

"I am so sorry." Jane said sincerely to Athena, closing her eyes. "He had a lot to drink last night and I was up late with Thor - but not like that!"

Athena didn't know what to say, she hadn't been expecting this. Thor smiled brightly. "Come in, come in. We're making breakfast."

And so Athena found herself sitting at a table awaiting breakfast. An older man - the hungover one - was slumped over in his chair, a vitamin fizzing in his glass in front of him. Dr Selvig, she had found out, hardly gave her another glance. The same couldn't be said for the other member at the table, a sweet, bubbly girl named Darcy. She was jumping in her seat hardly keeping her questions in. After Athena answered one, another came before Athena had actually finished talking.

"Is it true that you and Tony Stark have a baby?" Darcy asked, leaning forward in her seat.

Athena shook her head, denying that rumour. "Of course not."

Darcy looked put out that her rumour wasn't true but she continued her interrogation. "Are you two married?"

Athena shook her head, slightly amused. They had only gotten together. Thor placed a plate full of breakfast in front of Darcy and Dr Selvig. "Who is this Tony Stark?"

"Athena's boyfriend." Darcy immediately said, spinning to face Thor. "He's only like the most famous person ever."

"This Tony Stark is courting you?" Thor asked Athena, his eyes glistening with curiosity. He never thought that a Midgardian would catch the attention of the great Athena.

"He is." Athena confirmed, with a small smile. "We're very happy."

Thor and Athena talked quietly in the corner as Jane and Dr Selvig discussed matters. As Thor and Athena cleaned up the mess from breakfast, they heard a loud knocking. Athena and Thor looked towards the offending sound and were shocked to see typical Asgardians standing outside, waving at them. "My friends!"

Athena raised an eyebrow as the four warriors broke the door and embraced their friend. Athena remained in the background as one of the warriors introduced them all. "Oh, excuse me. Lady Sif, and the warriors three."

"My friends, I have never been happier to see anyone. But you should not have come." Thor said, sadly. The shock was evident on his friends' faces.

"We're here to take you home!" The blonde claimed after laughing in disbelief.

"You know I can't go home. My father is... dead because of me. I must remain in exile." Thor told them and Athena frowned.

"Odin is dead?" Athena asked loudly, stepping forward. The Asgardians gasped and quickly bowed. Athena smiled and gestured to them to stop. "Impossible, I would have heard such news."

"Thor... your father still lives."