The Carnivorous Carnival, part two

After my delight over the improvement of the last episode, I hoped that this season finale would hold up just as well. And I have to say...I'm pleasantly surprised with the cuts and cinematography of this episode. I have some things to say, but those are pretty minor. Onto business. 

THINGS I LIKED ABOUT THIS EPISODE:

1) Violet fixing the rollercoaster- This scene was weirdly calming and relaxing. I know Violet is a great inventor, but I always forget that she can make something from nothing. She literally fixes a rollercoaster with nothing but a noodle. (And I think the cooling belt from the fog machine...but they didn't show it so I couldn't tell if they did or not. I just remember that's what she needed in the book). That's both pretty impressive and just like Violet. 

2) Olaf discovers the Baudelaires through the hospital bracelet- This was actually something I wondered about in the previous episode: If Madame Lulu is on the Baudelaires' side, then how does Count Olaf find out it's them? Well, this little detail was just perfect for showcasing this. Violet accidentally drops her bracelet from the hospital on the ground and Olaf, after accidentally stepping on the crystal ball pieces, finds it and picks it up. Would have thought Lulu would have cleaned up the mess, but I guess with the day's excitements, she just didn't have time? Oh well. That's a minor nitpick. It definitely makes up for the massive changes they made with this book. 

3) Esme interacting with the "freaks"- I gotta' give Esme credit: the woman knows how to put up a face! She jokes with them, is very nice, and is good at disguising her motives with good incentive. She preys on their loneliness and vulnerability, and even when Olaf is confused about them asking to join his troupe, she doubles down on the idea of adding more people. If I was just plopped into this show from this episode, I would have been greatly fooled by this demeanor!

4) Mrs. Bass robbing a bank- I totally forgot this was in the books! XD That's it. Just happy they threw in that little gag. 

5) Count Olaf introducing the crowd- You know, he should have taken up being a ring master instead of an actor. This seems to really suit him! He knows how to create suspense, roll with apathetic audience members, and even knows a few magic tricks! How did he walk across an open pit of lions covered by a measly tarp?!

6) Deus Ex great physical strength!- Okay, I know this was practically an out of trouble free card for the Baudelaires, but the fact that Madame Lulu, I'm sorry, Olivia Caliban had enough strength to throw them to the other end of the lions pit?! Where does she bench?! What does she bench?! That's still pretty impressive. I'm sorry! I'm totally okay rolling with this logic!

7) Count Olaf helping the children to set their first fire- This may sound like a weird scene to like, but it kind of reminds me of Olaf setting the fire in the hospital, just in reverse. Let's be honest: setting fires is not first nature to anybody. Usually. Understandably, the Baudelaires were extremely reluctant to set fire to Madame Lulu's tent and all the precious things inside. So Olaf comes back in and helps guide them into starting a fire and tells them that he understands the apprehension. It was a very twistedly sweet moment. And that is not a phrase I ever thought I'd use with this show! 

Was this a scene in the book? Now I have to go back and look. Haven't read this book in a while so I forget all the minor details....