twenty three

I woke up to Leif's voice over speakerphone saying, "Tug, we're here, we made it, we're fine dude, it's okay. But oh my God, never again, fuck that noise. Fuck that airpl-- that thing. I almost had a heart attack. And the no smoking thing suuuucked. But I told you the nuns would cinch it. Are you there? I'm alive and well. Hi, dude."

Halley sat next to me, grinning hugely. "Hi," I said in answer, bewildered in the verbal barrage and rush of relief. I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming. "Is this real?"

"It's real," she assured me, and I believed her because even dream Halley wouldn't lie to me. 

"Oh my God," I said, realizing it was over. "Hi, yes, oh my God." I hugged Halley, eyes wide, unable to fully believe it.

"Okay, gotta go, I need a hot dog or three, call you later, loveyoubye!" He ended the call and I sat dazed as the door flew open; the teens were there with the little kids and Leif's sisters. 

I remembered then that I wasn't the only one who'd been affected by the accident, or left with a fear of people I loved risking their lives by traveling on aircraft. Though most of them were too little to recall the actual time period itself, it had of course changed all their lives in numerous ways.

"They're fine," I said, though obviously they had heard that, and we all erupted in celebration.

"Celebrate good times, c'mon!" Nate burst out with fanfare, adding a little dance, and his comrades joined in. 

"Annie Hay," came the tiny voice. "Oh no, I 'tuck!" he gasped theatrically, pretending his foot wouldn't move off the floor. "Hank 'tuck, foot 'tuck." He looked around him to make sure he had all of our attention, which by then he did. "Abba-ta-dabba!" he said with a flourish, picking up his foot and grinning while his little arms reached up. "Not 'tuck now. Pick Hank up, Annie Hay. Dit Hank? Yeah! Dit Hank!" 

She swooped him up, smothering him in kisses while he giggled, and I knew she couldn't love him more if he was her own. Same for all the kids. I was so lucky. We were so lucky.

I got dressed and we made ice cream sundaes because it was sort of a party, a giddy relief party, and got silly with the sprinkles and whipped cream. Even solemn Jasper was smiling from Ruby's lap.  

"We should have a party like this every week," Shiloh said in satisfaction, spooning mint chocolate chip into her mouth. She'd already had her lactose intolerance pill; last time we'd all forgotten to give it to her, which had ended in an upset tummy most of the night. "Even if the sprinkles aren't really the right colors because they're not made with real food dye," she added matter-of-factly. 

"You don't need to eat chemicals," Halley said absently, taking a delicious-smelling plate out of the microwave. It was reheated taco casserole for me; the rest of them had eaten lunch while I was asleep. 

"Well, that is true," Shiloh said reasonably. "C'mon, let's watch Aladdin with Hank, he's never seen it," she suggested to her other brother. "He'll like the magic carpet. But we have to skip over the scary parts," she added in a stage whisper. 

Ruby went with them, eating her own mess of Rocky Road, chocolate and caramel syrups, regular and chocolate whipped creams, chopped nuts, and like a dozen maraschino cherries. That girl and her sweet tooth. Gwen mentioned school work and slipped away to go back home.

Halley slid my plate in front of me and I caught her hand and pulled her down for a kiss. "Thanks, sure you don't want any ice cream?"

She made a face with her hand up. "Uh, yeah, no; I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving." She moved to the sink and began putting bowls in the dishwasher.