twenty four

It was a stroke, not a heart attack, which didn't change much. The doctor said there was a higher risk of it happening after a brain injury and it often occurs out of nowhere. In this case he'd been making a sandwich at the counter and just dropped.

The stroke was a small one, though, and he was awake and talking, according to her. It was almost two hours later and we were back in the ICU waiting room, which fortunately for me they'd redecorated. "If two of you would like to step back and see him, that would be fine," the nurse offered. 

Caleb's mom and Courtney both glanced in my direction and I made a face like don't look at me. "He'll want to see me," Courtney said loudly, fixing her hair haughtily, but she was clearly shaken, and mascara trails had marked her cheeks when we'd arrived. She went after the nurse, Caleb's mom trailing them. 

I looked at the teens. "These damn twins got us fucked up today, don't they," I said, shaking my head, which was reeling.

"I'm ready for bed and it's not even four," Char muttered, stretching and wrinkling her nose. We had the grimy waiting room to ourselves for the time being. "Let's just go, since he's fine. It smells so bad in here."

I completely agreed, but made myself pause. "Let's tell your mom at least, they'll be back soon."

"Ugh," she said, kicking the couch medium-hard. "Fuck."

"I know," I said, hugging her because that's what she needed. What we both needed. 

But we didn't have to wait at all because they came back right then. 

"He wants you," Courtney said, sparks in her eyes even as her lip trembled. She started riffling through her purse for her cigarettes. "I'm going home, he's obviously fine." She pushed past us and slammed the door, which was a super appropriate action for the setting we were in.

"He wasn't very kind about it," Caleb's mother said, almost apologetically. She wasn't that different from my own mother, standing there clutching her handbag with a worried brow. She looked a lot better since she'd stopped abusing her prescription medications. And also I guess being with my dad made her happy. 

"It's fine," I said, wanting to just get it over with so I could go home. "I'll just go. This won't take long," I said to the other three, who nodded.

"You want me to come too?" Charlotte asked.

I didn't know how he looked or what he wanted and I didn't think it would be the best idea. "Probably not, let me see what's up first."

"It's the second on the left," his mother added as I braced myself and opened the door to leave.

Great, another hospital room on this floor. Soon I would have experience with all of them at this rate. I went in and saw his eyes were closed so I paused, hoping he was actually asleep. 

But he opened his eyes and tried to smile so I had to go closer against every instinct demanding that I Leave This Place Immediately. "Hey, you okay?" I asked, trying to keep my voice neutral and not like it hurt like hell to see what had happened to him because of a stupid decision made while bicycling.

"Now that you're here," he said, and his words were a little sloppy. The doctor hadn't said anything about his speech being off so I figured it was from exhaustion.

The words themselves made me clench my jaw because I wasn't in the mood. "Look, I just came with the kids to make sure you're okay, and we're glad you are, but we need to get--"

"Mary," he interrupted, holding out his hand. "Just listen, okay?"

I eyed his hand and there was no way I was going to go there, even if it upset him in his delicate state or whatever. "I'm not holding your hand, Caleb," I said mildly, crossing my arms to prove my point.