Chapter 4

I was still sitting on that bench. The guards had changed posts three times.

Strange.

A powerless princess, who posed absolutely no threat whatsoever to the Queen and her plans, was being watched over by about a hundred guards. And that princess had horrible headaches, too, which sometimes even rendered her incapable of movement.

As it was, my thoughts were distracted my something different.

I was hungry.

And thirsty.

I'd been out for a whole day. I was practically fainting now. I could barely move my limbs. It had been worse, after Juniper's death. But hunger had become quite familiar to me.

I was growing hungrier and thirstier by the minute, and even the air was tasting stale. I knew that if I didn't get anything, I'd likely be out for another day.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait long. As if on cue, a guard ran up with a tray in his hands. Without saying anything, he slid the tray on the floor, under the bars, and ran back to his post, wherever that was.

Trying not to look too eager, I walked over to the tray. It was covered by an upside-down plate, right on top of it. I reached out quickly and grabbed the plate.

I shrieked.

It appeared that the plate, too, was made of iron. I breathed deeply, cradling my palms. A thin, red line had appeared on them both. I was a recipient of the soon-to-be King's hospitality, it seemed.

It didn't matter. I had to eat.

I pulled my sleeves over my hands and pushed the plate off. On the tray was a loaf of bread, and, next to that, a jar of water.

I thanked the Forest Spirit Nalvia for the provisions, however small they were. I grabbed the jar and took a long swig, thankful it, at least wasn't made of iron. But not two. I didn't know how long I'd have to subsist on that one jar. Then I grabbed the loaf.

I had no reservations about eating the whole thing. Better it be in my stomach. I'd get more. I'd learned long ago that while they wouldn't hesitate to give me more food, they rarely provided me with another jar of water.

Soon I was satisfied. My hunger wasn't completely gone, but it had settled. Unfortunately, this also turned my attention to other matters. Like what was going to happen next.

I sighed and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes, waiting. Soon, maybe half an hour later, I heard the telltale click of Forreston's boots and Ivy's soft footsteps.

I tensed, and finally they appeared, both grinning proudly.

"So? How is it?"

I stared. Ivy, who had just spoken, waited for me to answer. When I stared blankly back, she sighed dramatically and gestured to Forreston.

I turned my glare to him.

All I could see different about his appearance was that he was wearing a suit. Sky blue with royal silver designs threaded in, quite regal and something fitting for a King, not that scourge of the Forest.

I shrugged, keeping those thoughts away from showing on my face, "What?" Ivy sighed again and handed me a small portrait through the bars. I looked at it curiously.

A very talented painter had painted it, capturing even the minutest details and the exact appearances of the elves in the picture in that small space. It was a painting of the royal family, back when father was alive, and I was only a baby. Ivy and father were standing in the back. Both were holding babies. Forreston and I.