Chapter 33

"CALLA."

I stopped, turning to meet Mrs. Anise's stern face. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I must speak to you for a minute," she said, her face revealing nothing.

I glanced at Maple curiously.

"You may go, Tulip," Mrs. Anise said, pursing her lips.

"Yes, ma'am," Maple said, bobbing her head and going into the hall.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"As a matter of fact, it is, Calla," Mrs. Anise said, "But we cannot speak of it here."

A shiver went up my spine as she led me to a deserted corner.

"I heard you singing last night," she said, her eyes dark.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why did that mean —

I gasped.

She nodded. "Yes. I have been in this castle for a long time — I would recognize that lullaby anywhere."

"You —" I couldn't form words. Was she going to rat us out?

Mrs. Anise exhaled sharply. "Are you the Princess?"

It was a question, but the way she was staring at me told me that she knew the truth.

Still, I shook my head. "I am not. I have no idea what you are talking of."

She let out a little puff of air. "Do not lie, your Highness. You were never a good liar."

Never a good liar — had she known me?

"I know who you are," she said firmly.

"Are you going to tell the Queen, then?" I asked, my voice breathless and dread settling in my stomach. This was it.

We were finished.

Then Mrs. Anise shook her head. "I shall not."

"Why?" The question burst out involuntarily.

"Because in all my years here, I have never seen a person so cruel as the Queen. And though this is against our Law, I have always supported the Princesses."

"Did — did I know you?" I asked softly.

"You were only a child, but yes. I used to take care of you sometimes — before everything happened."

"Thank you," I breathed. I didn't remember her — but I'd have been barely two years old.

"It comes at a price," Mrs. Anise said, her face hard.

I swallowed. "What?"

"That none of the girls get hurt. I don't care what you do, warn them, reveal everything — but I don't want a single one of them hurt."

"I — I shall try, Mrs. Anise," I said.

"Swear it," she said, taking my hand and squeezing it hard. "Swear it on Nalvia."

"I —" The look she gave me was uncompromising. "I swear on Nalvia that the maids shall be unharmed."

She released my hand, her shoulders drooping.

I could feel it — the weight of the promise hanging over my shoulders.

"The rebel attack," I said.

Mrs. Anise looked up, her eyes sharp.

"It will happen in three days — there will be a solar eclipse. Keep all of them inside their chamber — they are not the rebels' target."