Epilogue

"HOW'D the meeting go?"

I turned to Maple and sighed, recalling all the lords I'd just met. Aiden, at my side, puffed out his cheeks. "Well, it went."

"That bad?" Arden asked, raising his eyebrows.

I shrugged. "They're worried they'll lose their power and influence, so they don't want elected members in the Council. But since we haven't abolished the Law that states they can't question me . . ."

"You sneaky little elf," Maple said, grinning brightly.

"She'll abolish the Law after the new Council is set up," Aiden said, folding his arms proudly. "I gave her the idea."

"You did not!" I said, gaping.

He shrugged. "If you say so." I whacked his arm lightly, and he scowled at me. I grinned, pecking his pouted lips slightly.

We were too young for marriage, so Aiden and I were discreetly continuing whatever we had. Well, perhaps not so discreetly—I was sure the entire palace knew what we were doing.

Aiden gave me an incredulous look when I pulled away. "Is that it?"

Arden cleared his throat. "Perhaps later, you two."

I blushed slightly, while Aiden gave his twin a dark look. "You're just jealous because you don't have anyone," he muttered.

"Moving on," I said, before Arden could retort, "How're the soldiers doing?"

I knew Arden was eyeing the post of General of my army, so I'd set him up as a soldier and soon a trainer one day. Honestly, I thought he would do well in the post.

He inhaled. "There's a bit of unrest, but on the whole, I think they prefer you to the previous Queen."

"I agree," Aiden said, giving me a rare smile, "But I advise you to give them a speech or talk to them."

Aiden, as well as Birch and other rebels were my advisors. The rebels were settling down nicely. Aiden, would, one day, perhaps become more than an advisor. If all went well, he could be King.

The thought made me blush, and I nodded quickly. "I will, soon." We began walking down the corridor, to my chambers. "Are the villages being repaired properly?"

Aiden nodded. "The elves you sent have reported that it's going well. The elves seem to like you, especially since you changed the Territory Guard."

I nodded, sighing. That had been one of my main problems. The Guard had resisted my rule the most, but they'd soon adjusted. After all, I was their Queen now.

Queen. I almost reached up to touch my crown, to remind myself that it was real, and not just a dream. Sometimes nightmares still woke me up, and I had to remind myself that we'd defeated Ivy, that there was peace.

We reached my chambers, and I nodded at the guards, who pushed open the doors. I sat down on one of the couches in my parlor, Aiden right beside me.

"Do you remember what we did on this couch yesterday?" Aiden murmured softly in my ear.

I gave him a glare, my cheeks burning bright red. He grinned, settling back comfortably into the soft fabric.

I looked away, taking off my crown and putting it on the nearby table. I was still getting used to being Queen, and sometimes I needed a break. I leaned my head on Aiden's shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around me.

"Do you know?" Maple giggled slightly. "I saw Pecan and Daisy together yesterday."

I raised an eyebrow. "I was expecting that."

"Ever since you were crowned, everyone's been so much more at ease," Maple said, sighing, "They all talk more, the servants aren't so afraid."

"I'm glad," I said, smiling gently. "But I can't let them get so unafraid of me, either." I grinned, looking up at Aiden. "What do you think?"

He exhaled, breath washing over my face. "Let it be. Everyone needs some relief after Queen Ivy."

I nodded, her name settling down on us heavily. Even if she was dead now, the effects of her reign were still prominent. She'd left scars on everyone—body and mind. I still hated to look in a mirror.

Aiden squeezed my shoulder lightly. "Trust me, everyone loves you. You're the most-loved monarch yet."

I huffed out a quiet laugh. "That's something."

"Maybe we should have a ceremony." He grinned.

"That reminds me," Maple said quickly, "Have you picked out your dress for tomorrow?"

Tomorrow was when I'd address the servants formally, and begin improving their living conditions. I hadn't gotten around to it properly, but tomorrow I would.

I shook my head, grimacing. "I have to choose one, still."

Maple stood up. "Well, as your lady-in-waiting, I have to make sure you do so."

I'd appointed Maple as my lady-in-waiting immediately, despite other possible candidates. There was no one else I'd choose. There was no one else I trusted more.

I sighed, shrugging Aiden's hand off my shoulder and standing up as well. "Let's go, then."

"We'll wait here," Aiden said, giving me a smile. "But I want to see you try on each dress."

I chuckled, giving him a nod. "Alright, you will. You can choose which one I'll wear."

He grinned even more. "I'm looking forward to that, but not as much as I'm looking forward to taking it off—"

Arden cleared his throat, giving Aiden a pointed look. "Can you not say all that in public?"

I snorted. "It doesn't matter, he won't be taking it off anyhow."

Arden burst into laughter while Aiden gaped. He crossed his arms, a sulky look coming over his face. "If that's how it is."

I grinned at him, nodding. "It is. Do you still want to choose my dress?"

He nodded, straightening immediately. "Of course, as your most trusted advisor, it is my duty to advise you."

I rolled my eyes. He was my most trusted advisor, but I'd never admit that to him.

"Come on," Maple said, taking my hand to lead me into my bedchamber.

I glanced at the boys once and smile, following her inside. After everything, to be so happy was a blessing. Whatever Ivy was done, I could smile and laugh freely now. With my friends—my family.

The past in the past, where it belonged.