The Lab

August , 19
Journal entry #2

The grid was still up thankfully though I didn't know how much longer it would stay. I tapped away at my computer entering the data I had collected into the diagrams. When everything went down I was in my laboratory.
The virus broke out in the east wing the month before. We had sealed it down trapping the dead inside in hopes of containing it but to no avail. I was the last one here, it hadn't affected me like the others, the ones that hurried home after the initial breakout were carriers. They took the virus with them and infected everyone and it spread from there. The military came in and tried to contain the situation but it was already too late . People died left and right creating a ghost town.

Sighing I saved and closed my work and padded to the break room . My stomach gurgled , it'd been 2 days since I had eaten . Rationing what little food was left over was going to be difficult . All that remained was someone's sandwich in the fridge and a can of soup. I would have to leave soon, I knew it but that didn't make it any easier.
Thankfully I didn't have anyone to miss with all of the death surrounding me. It was just me, it had always just been me. I took two bites of the sandwich and rewrapped it placing it into the fridge. I needed a plan if I was going to leave safely and survive. Although I was immune that wouldn't save me from being torn apart by crazed teeth. I had to be logical.

I decided to walk around the lab and down to the east wing my shoes clicking on the floor. The moans could be heard down the hall.
As I neared the door two sets of blood-shot eyes shot my way and proceeded to run and smash into the door . Thank God it was solid metal with only a thin sliver of plexiglas on either side. I recognized the man and woman. Beverly was head of the immunology department and jaxson was an apprentice.
I didn't know them well but it saddened me to see them this way.

I turned and made my way back to the break room and locker room area . I needed a shower bad. We had our own set up at the HVRC Humanoid virus research center that could go for years, reusable energy from the wind,solar panels, and human waste. We had multiple very large wells that connected to the property as well so we could be sustainable. The lab was secluded about 12 miles from town and had lots of electric fenced off land. If I could get rid of the dead in the east wing I could turn this place into home and continue my research. I had had an apartment in town before all this but I hadn't been there since. The only surrounding homes I knew of nearby were farm houses. Might be a waste of time but I figured when I do go out it'd be best to search those first.

But before I could leave I needed to get supplies together and ready a van. I sat at my desk making a list of things i would need.

Items to bring
- weapon(and backups)
- food (in case I got held up)
- first aid supplies
- body armor
- running shoes
- rope
- blanket
- lighter/matches/tinder
- compact multi tool
- extra fuel
- female hygiene

I sat back and looked at my list, this looked like everything. But if I was going to make it I needed to gather those items and get in shape. They could run , and even worse they didn't tire. The part of the brain that tells you to stop when you're over-exerting yourself went dormant with the virus. I ran track in highschool and college thankfully so I was quick but it had been a while. Thankfully there was a treadmill and elliptical bike in the locker room. I'd start now and aim for five days from now. That's how long I could make my rations last without becoming weak.
I could do this I knew I could.
I wasn't going to let the weight of the world bring me down. I was a fighter.

Looking back at my list I connected body armor and weapons together. The only place I could get both of those things was on the other side of the building. Kyle, he was the security guard in the East wing.
There was no way of getting around it I needed something to protect myself or I wouldn't last. Even though I'm immune if I get bit I'll become Ill, almost like dysentery from what I had seen 4 weeks before. My lab mate Phil , was immune but bitten we tried everything to save him but he went into a comatose state and continued to deficate and urinate . We flushed him with fluids but it wasn't enough to save him and he ended up passing in his sleep from shock.
He was an amazing person and great scientist . A tear fell from my eye. I should've told him how I felt before he passed. I wiped my face and straightened up, there was nothing that could be done to fix it so there was no point in dwelling on it . It was all about survival now. No room for regrets or sadness, That was how people died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Don't forget to comment and vote , thank you for the support !