The East Wing

August , 20
Journal entry #3

I shuffled around through the desks looking for anything I could use. I came up with magazines , pencils,scissors, tape, pads, and some rubber bands. Great. I sat down to think of possible solutions to my predicament. I needed to be able to protect myself from the dead and somehow get around undetected. Finally coming up with a solution I put on my spare change of clothes over my current ones as padding and taped the magazines to my arms and legs to serve as a shield from possible bites. I tucked the pencils into my pockets and put the rubber bands on my wrists. I set the pads in my duffle and went outside around the building to scope out and see where the guard was wandering around. I peered through the window careful not to be seen and eventually found him shuffling around the lab area near the door. Thankfully it seemed that he was the only one in there.

Making my way back inside I returned to my desk spreading out a map of the east wing and going to survey the cameras. There were twelve all together. I really had to think this through. One wrong move and I'd be dead. I watched each camera in the control room trying to come up with a plan. I needed a distraction to pull them away from the east lab . I thought long and hard of what to do... the automated doors in the cooler! Of course why hadn't I thought of it before!?!? There was an alarm that radiated from inside of it if there was a drastic temperature change. I grabbed two walkie talkies and my axe from the emergency fire box on the wall. It was now or never. I clicked the button for temp off in the cooler and rigged the automated door to one of the walkie talkies so that I could open and close the door on command.
The majority of them were in the same area. I watched the camera as they sprinted to the noise of the alarm . The guard followed nearing the alarm. I shut the door before he could enter effectively trapping ten of them inside before turning freeze back on. They'd be popsicles before long.
Now I had two left, a woman and the guard. I could do this. Armed with my axe and makeshift armor I made my way to the east wing door gently prying it open and going in.
The scrape of metal alerted the dead and they came running . I quickly tucked behind a shelf unit , their hearing was exceptional, heightened you could say. Gently working a rubber band off my wrist I aimed for a metal filing cabinet four feet away and let it rip. A ding echoed through the room with the impact drawing the dead to it. This was my chance while their backs were turned, I flipped my axe around to the thin pointed side and decided to take out the larger guard first and then worry about the woman. I crept behind the reanimated corpses and buried my axe into the guards skull with a satisfying crunch. He dropped like a rock and the woman spun around sinking her teeth into the magazines on my left arm. I quickly yanked the axe from the guards skull and buried it into hers as well. Thank God for those magazines. That was close. I quickly stripped the equipment and weapons from the guard and retreated back out of the door, I needed to catch my breath. I took off the tape and magazines with shakey hands peering nervously at the door half expecting them to come running in here after me. It was irrational i knew that but it didn't ease my mind any. I peered up at the camera in the freezer and the corpses slumped on the ground frozen. That would make it easier to kill and dispose of their bodies.
Grabbing my duffle bag i went back to the east wing to search for items i could use. I found more female hygiene items rounding the corner to the break room, the vending machine was still full! I rushed over smashing the glass and grabbing a bag of pretzels . I sighed as I ate them happily shoving the entire contents into my large green duffle it had belonged to my brother when he served in the army. It could fit so much in it effortlessly. Grabbing the last of the food I continued to search and found everything I needed for my trip off the property. I would leave in the morning but for now I needed to rest after the events of the day. Even though I scored big on the vending machine snacks and took care of the dead, in the east wing for now. I knew it wouldn't last, I needed to stock up and look for survivors in the area. There was safety in numbers and I wanted to turn this place into a safe zone. I needed to build a wall around the perimeter, the electric fence wasn't enough protection against those things. A wall would stop a large group and help contain any noise from within. It was the safest choice but I couldn't do it alone I needed others.

Laying down on the couch I pulled the blanket up over my head and relaxed closing my eyes and drifting into sleep. Tomorrow I would leave the safety of the HVRC Humanoid virus research center property.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Don't forget to comment and vote , thank you for the support !