The Farm House

August , 21-25
Journal entry #4

I awoke groggy from the day before and hungry beyond belief. Sliding the blanket from my body I stood up stretching and shuffling over to my stash of snacks. Today's breakfast choice was fruit snacks and Cheetos... Healthy. Throwing on a t-shirt and shorts I made my way to the locker room where the treadmill and elliptical bike awaited me. I'd work on my cardio for an hour and then switch to weights to build up my arms some in case I needed to defend myself.

The next few days passed by much the same until the twenty fifth came around. Today was the day I'd venture out into enemy territory and hopefully not die a virgin. The world may have gone to hell but my sense of humor sure didn't.

I stuffed my duffle with the remenants of the food and filled four large jugs full of clean drinking water from the well out back. I collected fuel from the vehicles remaining on the property and came up to ten gallons, it wasn't much but it'd have to do for now, thankfully the van's tank was full. I Loaded everything up into the van and returned to the building to put on the armor and adjust the straps to fit me. it was large and fit me awkward but it was better than nothing. I left the main entrance locking up with my card key in-hand and took one last look at the building before climbing into the van and shutting the door behind me. I was scared out of my mind but I knew I needed to start building and thinking of the future. The radios and news stations were silent . If anyone was out there, alive at least, then I'd probably run into them. The threat of the dead was one thing but the threat of potentially dangerous survivors was another. Unlike the dead, people could hurt you in more ways than one. I knew I needed to be quiet and careful . The van we had was multifunctional and hadn't hit market yet. It was electric but would also run on fuel and waste product , the solar panels on the roof provided battery life as well as serve as a backup source of power. And best yet, it was almost silent when used as electric. The world had invented some amazingly efficient products before ending. Atleast we went out with a bang.

I started up the van and drove down the road to the gate outlining the property. I pulled up to the card reader and opened the gates careful to lock them behind me. The security was tight at HVRC and I was thankful for it now that the dead roamed the earth. I probably wouldn't see any for miles, the closest home from here was almost twelve miles out. I only knew of two that were closer, so those were the ones I'd search first. The low hum of wind under the van was the only thing keeping my mind away from how dangerous what I was doing could be. I cracked my window slightly to allow cool air to enter the vehicle. It was a pleasant change from the stale air I had been breathing. My fingers itched to turn on the radio but I knew it was no use. No music. No news. No people. I opted to listen to the air passing by the van's exterior instead. I drove for eight miles before seeing the tall-tale sign of a farm with large silos and a faded red barn. I slowed the vehicle as I neared the drive before turning in all the way behind the house out of sight from the road and cutting the engine. I listened for something, Anything, but received nothing but silence back. When I deemed it safe I exited the vehicle grabbing my weapons and essentials before locking the doors and cautiously walking up to the old farm house. The once white exterior was now tinged green and yellow . The front door had a screen door on it so I quietly cut through it careful to not clink the metal. I didn't know if I was alone or not. I turned the handle to find it open and gently slid it open . It scraped the floor a little creating a swooshing noise. I paused listening around me before tucking inside the building and closing the door behind me careful to leave it unlocked in case I needed to make a run for it. The floral wallpaper filled the foyer and led down the hall. I tiptoed down the hall careful to avoid creaky boards. My nostrils were invaded by the stench of rotten flesh as I neared the room at the end of the hall. I swung the door open with my axe up in defense. The grotesque scene before me caused my eyes to water the old man and woman sat before me hands locked together and empty pill bottles on the table in front of them. They had chosen to go together and judging by the decomposition of their bodies, it couldn't have been more than three weeks ago that they opted out. I wanted to give them a proper burial but decided against it. Burning the corpses would be more cleansing and they wouldn't be left to rot further. For now, I closed the bedroom door and walked through the house carefully inspecting to see what I could find . I ventured through the country home and down to the basement coming across home canned goods. My stomach gurgled , they had dill pickles and carrots mainly so I decided on the later taking the jar of carrots and walking back to the dining room. I sat the jar on the table and walked back to the front door to lock it. Once the lock was turned shut I turned to make my way back to the dining room. A loud creaking noise filled my ears. My heart stopped, It had come from behind me. I whipped around axe in hand ready to strike when a pair of strong masculine hands caught the weapon ripping it from my grasp. The masked figure through my axe behind him and lunged for me. Fear mixed with fury clouded my senses and before I realized what I was doing my leg came up and connected with his manhood sending him to the floor in a heap. I spun on my heel and dove for the door running as fast as I could. The noise from the commotion the masked figure and I had created drew in a few dead that came sprinting my way . I just needed to get to the car and I could get out. Just right around the corner and I'd be safe. I picked up my pace rounding the corner only to be snatched up and thrown over the masked figures shoulder who then proceeded to run towards a small cottage beside the farmhouse I hadn't noticed initially. The dead were gaining on us and my heart beat frantically. He flew into the cottage slamming the door shut and dead bolting it before dropping me onto a sofa. Before I could jump up and come at him he had me pinned down to the cushions. I went to bring my knee up only for him to shift his weight onto my thigh. I whined in pain.
He grit through his teeth

"Don't you dare. I'm trying to help."

My once tense form slackened beneath him and he brought his weight off my leg.

"If I move do you promise not to run?"

My heart beat out of my chest as I nodded reluctantly. I could bring my knee up again while he was distracted and make a break for the door but then what? Those things were out there , there was no way of getting out of this. Maybe if I did what he said he wouldn't hurt me.

"Good now calm down I'm not going to hurt you."

He moved away allowing me to compose myself in my own space. I sat silently staring at the door and then him.

"Maybe if I took this blasted thing off you wouldn't be so scared"

He said slacking his shoulders and removing his mask to reveal auburn hair ,freckles and blue eyes. He had a bit of scruff on his chin and couldn't have been older than twenty-four. His auburn locks were a pleasant contrast to my fiery red curls.
Leave it to me to find another ginger during the plague , I thought chuckling a little.

"What's funny?"

He questioned me, I couldn't form words so I just shook my head . He didn't seem too pleased with my avoidance but decided to move on instead.

"I noticed you were about to eat those carrots when I dropped in and scared you. Sorry about that.. I uh. I have some Mac n cheese I can fix real fast if you'd like? Much better then just carrots I promise."

Hesitant, I decided to just nod and look around. My eyes roamed the room from the living room space to the tiny kitchenette and to two sets of doors, I wondered what lay behind them.
Noticing my curiousity he explained what I had so obviously been thinking.

"Bedroom and bathroom, you don't talk much do you?"

I just shook my head. Oh I could talk til my face turned blue but I wasn't going to let him know that. I needed to keep him in the dark as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Don't forget to comment and vote , thank you for the support !