Chapter 9

Astrid's P.O.V.

"Just let that guy try to come and take you, I'll give him something to take," Aaron said as I stuffed the blanket into my saddle bag.

"Sure you will, brother," I said, unconvinced, as I closed the bag.

"What you don't believe me? Fine, just act as my bait, and I'll prove it to you," he said as he swung his sword.

"It's just going to be over night for a few days, I'll be back in the morning to help out around here," I told him as I lead Stormfly out of the barn.

"For how long? You shouldn't feel unsafe in your own home, this person has to-" I cut him off.

"I don't want him coming here. I saw him talking to Mulch, and then he looked right at me. He knows where I live, I don't know how skilled he is, and I'm not doubting your ability, I'm just being cautious about him," I told him.

"But he doesn't know you're leaving. First thing he's gonna find in your room tonight is his own head," he said.

"Fine. Send me a scroll when he does," I say as I mount my horse. He handed me a lantern before I pushed it away. "Where I'm going, it's better if I travel invisible," I said.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I can't say. If I do, you might try to stop me," I said before he paused.

"Not there..." It was my turn to freeze.

"Yes, there," I said quietly.

"If you're caught, they will kill you," he said.

"Then I won't get caught," I told him.

"Astrid, please, don't risk it," he pleaded.

"Aaron. C'mon. I'm Astrid Hofferson. I'm always risking stuff," I said with a half-convincing smirk.

"I can't stop you, can I?" he whispered. I shook my head. "Fine. But if you're not back here in the morning, I'm going after them, the guy, Benny, Heather, people who don't have a way of seeing you tonight. You hear?"

"Yes sir. Don't worry. I'll stay in the stables," I said before kicking Stormfly's flank and having her gallop down the way. I rode her into the village before making her slow to a silent walk as we neared the castle. Guards were scattered around the gate, but as far as I could tell, not many near the stables. I dismounted and took her by the reins before walking toward them, pausing as a guard raised his sword to me. I bowed in convincing, mock respect.

"I come from the fields, a late night at work," I lied, "I bring the last horse of the yield of the crop. I was told to feed, water, and groom her." He looked at me before lowering his sword.

"You may pass. When you're finished, if you would, you may meet me in the kitchen...so you may receive a tip," he said before I looked at him.

"I'm afraid I may pass on the opportunity, for I am already claimed," I lied again before walking around him and leading Stormfly to the stables. "Idiots, am I right?" I whispered to her as I tied her reins to a post in an empty stall. She huffed out a breath in agreement as I made a makeshift sleep space for myself near the wall. If he knew I feared the royal family, then this is the last place he'd expect to find me. I looked over the wall to see the guards pacing around outside. I grabbed a rock and tossed it outside, making a few look toward the thudding noise.

"Ah, don't worry," the one I spoke with said as he saw others starting toward it, "It's just the field hand leaving from returning a horse." The guards exchanged glances before going about their business. I smiled and laid down among the hay and pulled my blanket over my body. I folded my hands behind my head and stared at the ceiling as I took a deep breath. Finally, I could sleep in peace, something I haven't had in a while. And in the presence of my most hated people...ironic. After a few minutes of listening to the guards stomping around outside, my eyes started to slowly ease themselves closed. Once I was sure I was about to slip into the peaceful realm of sleep, a hand flew across my mouth and my eyes shot open again as I took in a muffled gasp. Hayden looked down at me, smirking in the gloom as he leaned over my body. I grabbed his wrist to try to pull his hand from my mouth before squeezing my eyes shut as he leaned toward my ear.

"I'd stay quiet if I were you," he whispered, "Unless of course, you want the guards to kill you on sight." I swallowed before he ripped my blanket off my body and pulled me to my feet. "Remember: quiet," he whispered before taking his hand from my mouth and grabbing my wrist.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I said quickly as he pulled me to a door.

"Ch, ch, ch, you're not being quiet," he said as he lead me into a kitchen.

"Where are you taking me?"

"If you're quiet, you'll find out," he said before taking me up a flight of stairs and down a hall. I looked around the palace, but couldn't appreciate the many weapons I saw on the hall walls. "Ah, who am I kidding," he chuckled as he stopped at a door, "You'll find out anyway." He opened the door before pushing me into a large bedroom, making my blood run cold. I looked at him as he closed the door and turned to face me.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I wasn't going to take anything, I was just trying to get away from-" he cut me off as he snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me against him, making me stiffen.

"Shh, sh, sh, sh, shh...." he whispered, putting his finger to my lips. "You know, if you wanted to spend the night with me, you could have just asked," he said as he walked me back and pushed me onto the bed. He tried to climb on top of me, but I quickly crawled away and moved back as he moved toward me. Don't kill him, don't kill him, don't kill him, I told myself as he trapped me against the headboard of his canopy bed. "Come on, m'lady, you can't get me to think you came here to do something other than see me," he said as he brushed my hair behind my ear.

"Get away from me before I take my axe between your legs," I snapped.

"You don't have an axe," he chuckled.

"Once I get one, you best keep your distance, then and now," I growled.

"Why don't I take my axe between your legs," he suggested seductively as he slowly leaned toward my neck.