Sixth

He was drawing in his notebook when I saw him next.

I didn't sit down immediately, watching for a moment or two the way his whole body seemed concentrated on the precise movements of his hand as it worked it's way across the page. He huffed in frustration, pushing back the hair that had fallen into his eyes. It was then that he noticed me, our eyes meeting for the briefest of moments before his face split into a grin.

"You're later than usual." It was the warmest spring day yet, and he looked even smaller without the added bulk of a coat.

"I couldn't get out at the usual time. Something about a 'quick meeting' that turned out to be quite long."

"Meetings are never quick." He smiled to himself, closing the notebook before I had a chance to see what it was he was so concentrated on.

I don't think he was trying to hide it from me. He probably thought if he had it open I would think he was not interested in the conversation or something.

He tucked the pencil he was using behind his ear, and I could have died right then and there because of how cute he looked.

"You smell like...burgers." He wrinkled his nose, and I scooted an inch or two away, embarrassed that he had noticed.

"I work in a drive-in diner, and I had to flip-"

"I know you do." He scooted closer to me, closing the gap I had just created.

"I'm just glad you choose to stop here right after work, even if you do kind of smell."