Twelfth

"I told you this would happen."

He sniffed, wiping his nose with the tissue in his hand.

"You were right. I guess my immune system just isn't the greatest."

At least he was wearing a beanie and a warm coat today. Better late than never, I suppose.

"I guess not."

He wrapped his arm through mine, leaning his head on my shoulder as we huddled close together on the bench. I looked down at the top of his head, and at the little tiffs of dark hair poking out from beneath his hat. His eyes were closed, and he looked to be completely at his ease.

"What are you thinking about?" He tapped my hand with his to get my attention, not seeming to realize that he already had it, and would always have my attention as long as I knew him.

"Just this. Spending time with you." He looked up, amber eyes unbelievably captivating in the evening light.

"Do you mind it?" Uncertainty shown out form his eyes, and I felt his hand twisting my fingers, unconsciously.

"Mind what?"

"Wasting all this time with me? And doing nothing. Like, I haven't even told you—"

"It's not a waste of time." He opened his mouth to protest, but I covered it with my hand he wasn't holding. "It's not a waste of time. I'm with you."

Tears filled his eye, and he blinked them away quickly. He opened his mouth, then closed it, as if rethinking what he was about to say. Instead, he leaned forward and gave my cheek a very gentle kiss. He pulled away, but kept his face very close to mine, staring into my eyes.

"All this time, I've been waiting. If you asked me why, I probably wouldn't be able to answer. But now..." His voice trailed off, and he ducked his head, hiding those pretty eyes from my sight.

I tucked a strand of hair behind his ear, and he met my eyes again. I could have stayed right there forever, just looking into his amber eyes.

"I think I've found what I've been waiting for."