Chapter Sixteen: Bella Fucking Swan

"With my existence linked to the girl's, there's no doubt in my mind that Michael will surrender and we will be victorious." Ariel smirked arrogantly. He strode towards the doors and glanced at me. "I'm going to help the students maintain the protection spell, make Michael work a little harder at saving her."

With that, Ariel left me alone with Baldwin, who did nothing but sigh heavily.  He knelt down and stared at me.

"You know you wouldn't be put in this situation if it wasn't for Michael, right? We had to use you as bait. How could you be with a guy like Michael? Don't you know what he's capable of?"

I scoffed and shook my head as I sat up and leant my back against a bookcase. "After putting a curse on me, almost making me kill myself, slicing my wrist, and stealing my blood, I wouldn't think you'd be interested in my personal life."

"You can't blame a guy for being curious." He grinned.

"Yeah? Well, I can blame you for being stupid." Baldwin furrowed his brows at me just as I wrapped my fingers around his neck. Before he could react, I used my powers to quickly locate the light shining in his chest, signifying his source of life.

I closed my eyes and absorbed the life source slightly, refueling my own, just like Michael taught me. Two weeks ago, we had discovered that not only could I give life to nonliving things, but I could also take it away as well and use it to my advantage. Since light is a symbol for life, it was no mystery that I was able to yield it with ease.

Baldwin's eyes fluttered shut as he weakened, though I was careful to absorb only a small amount of his life source, leaving him just enough to keep him alive. My grip on his neck loosened and I shoved his body to the ground, looking at him in disgust.

"That's for almost killing me, asshole." I scowled and stepped over his limp body. With my shoes thumping hard against the floor, I marched out of the library and into the hallway, only to be met with chaos.

Everywhere, boys who looked like they were young teenagers to adults sprinted in all directions, screaming out orders to one another. A line of them were holding hands near a fire pit, chanting quietly, with Ariel at the front. The entire area was dimly lit, the only source of light being fire pits and candles.

"Hey! What is she doing here?!" A young boy yelled, causing a dozen pair of eyes to gawk at me. Ariel's attention snapped to where I stood, but before he could utter a word, a loud bang crackled through the air.

The front doors flew open, the metal cutting through the atmosphere and piercing the cement wall behind me. My mouth hung open at the impact, heart pounding at the unexpected sight.

"Ariel! Bring her out now!" Michael's voice boomed, words coated with rage to the point where it even frightened me a little. I sucked in a breath as Michael walked into the hall, a black leather coat slung over his tall frame.

Polished black boots clung to his feet while ruby red gloves decorated his hands. Striking blue eyes wandered around the room, dark with anger, as an intimidating scowl painted his plump pink lips.

"Get him!" A boy yelled and I watched as some of the boys began to chant out a spell.

However, before they could do anything, Michael had raised his arms up high in the air. One by one, each of the students' necks snapped at an odd angle. Their bodies fell to the floor, every ounce of life within them, gone.

"Kill him!" Someone yelled, right before all of the swords hung up on a wall flew towards Michael. He gazed at the sharp weapons with ease, a smile dancing on his lips.

"Nice party trick." He grinned, gloved hands waving in the air. All of the swords paused in the air before turning back slowly. A group of boys gawked at the weapons in fear, their cheeks paling by the second. "But I've seen better."