Chapter Twenty-One: Goldilocks

"Nick, we talked about this." I sighed, saddened by the sight before me. My patient, Nicholas Bishop, cradled his head in his large hands. Eyes were clenched shut with frustration as he groaned. "You're not supposed to torment yourself by checking up on Angie."

Nick struggled with schizophrenia, as well as his extreme mood swings. When he and Angie were still dating, she was the one who brought him down to a stable level whenever he was drowning in his sorrow or burning with rage. However, when she ended their five year relationship two weeks ago, things went downhill for Nick.

"I can't help it." He sobbed and I reached over, giving him a box of tissues. The offering was taken from my grasp and Nick swiped at his tears before crushing the tissue in his palm. "I don't understand how she can be so happy, while I'm here... Like this."

"People move on differently, Nick, and checking her social media accounts isn't going to help you with that process." I clucked, leaning back in my chair. "You need to focus on what's good for you. Angie isn't included in that anymore. She is causing more harm than good."

"But I need her in my life!" He cried out. "She kept me grounded. Angie made all the monsters go away, but ever since she left me, they keep taunting me!"

A frown shadowed my lips as I noted that his visions were back. "You want her, but you don't need her. There's a difference and you need to realize that."

Nick lifted his head and stared at me, an empty haze clouding his pupils. His nose was red from crying, cheeks dampened by his tears.

"She was... is... my world. I love her." Nick whispered.

"Angie may be your world, Nick, but you are the universe. You control your life, destiny, everything. Not Angie." My voice carried the words in a leveled tone, knowing showing too much emotion wasn't professional. "It's okay to love and be loved. However, it isn't worth it anymore when you are being hurt in the process."

"It is also important to remember that before you begin to fall in love with someone, you have to love yourself first." I continued. "You have to make sure you are the best, happiest version of yourself before you start worrying about anyone else."

Nodding his head, Nick swiped at his nose, green eyes glistening with the tears brimming his eyes. Sunlight poured through the glass windows of my office and shone against Nick's black spiked hair. I adjusted the sleeves of my sapphire blazer, which blanketed my white collared blouse, before standing up. Nick, understanding that his session was ending, mirrored my actions.

"Okay, Nick, I'll see you in two days." A warm smile graced my red-tinted lips. "However, feel free to reach me if you need anything."

"Thanks, Estella." He grinned, a crack amongst his surface of sorrow.

"Also, I want you to stop checking in on Angie. Instead, go spend time with your friends or practice playing the guitar. Remember how much you enjoyed writing music?" Nick chuckled at the memory and agreed to follow my instructions.

I ushered him to the door and waved goodbye as he walked down the hall. Eyes glanced over the digital clock on my bookshelf and I grinned, knowing that my day at work has ended.

Time to go!

With my bag's handles cradled within the crook of my elbow, I strolled out of my office, files in hand. A quick wave was thrown towards the secretaries at the front desk and David, who was bluntly flirting with them all. He sent me a playful wink and I rolled my eyes at his actions before giving him a friendly smile.

Just as I got into my Mini Cooper and started the engine, my cellphone rang. I connected the device to my car's bluetooth before answering the call.