Chapter 5: As You Were Born

I watch with unseen eyes as our heir rips through the meat, her meaningless friends laughing. I ignore them, searching her back for the changes. They glow blue to my senses, the scent of my sapphire star obvious. I grin, turning and staring up at the stained glass, the moonlight illuminating my queen's beauty.

————

I chug a health potion on the edge of the arena, watching the swirling gale of wind rise up with the dragon's wings. My scars stretch painfully as I rise again, swaying in the strong wind. I clench my fangs, ignoring the unnatural whispers of the Elder's Recess that invade my mind. Instead, the beastly howl of the Kushala Daora flows through my ears.

Why do you attack me creature? I am not prey! I stumble towards my friends, spinning my weapons in my clawed hands. I roll out of the way of the steel dragon's long tail, my eyes concentrating on the elder dragon's neck. I flick my tongue across my sharp teeth subconsciously, frowning at my own actions. I rush towards the dragon as it rears up, flicking its red gaze across my party. One wing flutters, torn, against the monster's side from the Admiral's persistent onslaught, both of its front claws similarly broken from the Huntsman's great sword. I reach the creature's head as it spins, flicking my party away with its tail. I watch from the corner of my eye as the Admiral crashes into the ragged rock wall, his weapons being ripped from his hands by spirals of wind. The Huntsman flies off in the same direction, lying unconscious against the ground.

I yell as I raise my weapons, their edges gleaming. The Kushala Daora turns to face me as I pull my blades down, both ripping into its head. It roars from the pain, snapping at me with its jaws. I jump up out of the way, being caught by the dragon's head as it rears up. I clutch onto it, losing one blade to the effort. I jump to its back before it's fangs can touch me, stabbing my remaining weapon into the crevasses between it's shining scales.

[What are...you..doing my heir?] I lift my head as a voice reaches my ears. It echoes with the lilt of a young boy, his voice trained for singing. I lessen my attacks, searching for the source. [You are not meant to use these useless tools!] At his distracting words, and the sudden spinning of the dragon, I drop my one weapon, swearing at own actions as I hopelessly scramble for it before it falls to the ground. They both glint against the rock, now being pushed away by the monster's bulk. Swinging my concentration back to my efforts, I clutch onto the thrashing dragon, now defenseless.

[Use the weapons I have provided you.] I glance up at the sky as the voice rings out again, the source seemingly invisible. I frown at his words, the weapons provided to me? My thoughts are interrupted as the dragon runs up against a wall in an effort to rid itself of me. I shift onto its other side, I clutching tighter, my claws digging into the dragon. It roars in pain. I lift my hands away as it stumbles away from the rock. They come away with thick blood, the substance dripping between the metallic scales. [Taste your success.] Frowning, I hesitantly bring a claw to my mouth, the taste of iron filling my mouth.

I feel my senses sharpen, as with my new weapons. The dragon blood runs down my throat, warming my whole body. I forget the pain in my back, my eyes now concentrated on the thin skinned throat of the dragon. It turns its head towards me, growling. I snarl back, leaping towards its head. I clutch on, raking my claws down its muzzle. As it rushes to clutch one of my limbs with its fangs I slide down to its throat, my claws ripping into its skin. I latch onto the skin with my fangs. More blood falls down my throat as I stare into its eyes. It roars as I bite down harder, the flesh now starting to rip at my efforts.

I grin to myself, my body now driven by bloodlust. [Bite down harder! You must break its windpipe!] I rip into its flesh fervently at the encouragement. My eyes widening, I take a breath, tearing myself away from the neck of the Kushala Daora. I glance around the arena, seeing the Huntsman staring up at me, his face slack with shock. I smile a fanged smile at him, the blood starting to drip down to my chin. I clutch on harder with all limbs as the monster suddenly flies into the air. It tries to reach me with its hind legs, the sharp claws almost reaching my body. I flip to the side, latching on with my teeth again. I tear through muscle, watching the ground swirl beneath me. [There it is! Tear through it!] My fangs puncture the windpipe of the creature, the dragon suddenly falling to the ground. As it falls I rip through it, blood splattering me and the ground. I jump off before the mass of the dragon crushes me.