Chapter 7: Two Lives

A/N: I wasn't going to write this anymore but I was going through comments and a lot of you seemed to like it! I think I'm going to have to reinvent the rest of the story to make it interesting again, but luckily I had a chapter completed already so I can upload it easily. It's also annoying how it's in present tense, so if you guys don't mind I may change tenses (give me your opinion tho!) updating will be slow since I have more important things to work on, but I think it'll be fun to do this again. Anyway,, enjoy!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
I sit, formless, on the bed next to my heir. Her wings rise and fall with every breath. Her hunting wasn't true hunting. I twist my hands together in thoughtfulness. She will need more blood, her changes need to develop in order to master the power of my Queen. I look on with tired eyes.

————

"Where is she?!" My ears pick up a familiar voice, heavy footsteps sounding near my suite. The noise grates on my ears, having been alone for the past 6 days and nights. I don't move, watching the door with tired eyes. I rest on my stomach, my wings pointing to the ceiling. I slide my eyes to them. They had continued to grow during the week, the edges of the delicate membrane rugged, like fabric ripped by Odogaron claws. They glow blue in the midday light. I flutter them slightly, feeling the nerves twinge in my shoulders. I gag slightly at the feeling, my body still not accustomed to the new limbs.

I'm brought back to the present as the door opens. The Handler steps into the room, followed by the Admiral and the Huntsman. They drop their weapons on the floor, making me wince for the blades, striding over towards me.

'I heard that you had broken into the kitchen,' The Admiral states bluntly. I avoid his eyes as I place myself in a sitting position, carefully resting my folded wings on the pillow. He stares into my eyes, forcing my gaze to his. I look on with a blank expression, his gaze glinting in frustrated concern. 'I truly do not know what to do with you. You're dangerous. To yourself and to other people.' He stands back up. 'We can't just exile you. And really do not want you to go to the Research base,' he puts a hand over his mouth in thought, mumbling, 'who knows what they'd do to you.' The Huntsman nods along with his wondering.

My eyes flit around. I try to hold up an arm, all three looking to me. I growl, struggling against my restraints. The Admiral walks over, flipping out a carving knife. The rope snaps, freeing my hands. 'Did he really have to go through this trouble?' He mumbles. I raise my hands, rubbing at the wrists.

'I could leave,' I sign. They look at me, bewildered.

'That is seriously dangerous. I can't condone that.' The Huntsman speaks up, his voice muffled by the helmet. I shrug.

'What other choice do I have?' I raise my hands in question, letting them flop back onto my lap. They stay still, thinking it over. [I think that's a wonderful idea! There's no prey here!] I jump at the boy's voice, glaring around. They stare, confused, at me. I look away, a knot in my brow.

The men both sigh. 'You will stay in your suite until we figure out what's going on.' I growl, my mind whirring. How much longer was I to stay holed up here?

'That's the best option. I know it may not be the most comfortable for you,' the Handler sits down next to me, placing a hand over my clawed one. I open my palm. She closes her fingers over mine. My eyes avoid hers as I relax into the bed.

'But tonight, and for another week we are all staying in here. We will take shifts in the night,' the Admiral speaks up again. The Huntsman shifts uncomfortably. The Handler's shoulders tense. 'It's not your fault. I just want to place extra measures,' he looks away, 'I don't want her to have another...adventure.' They leave quietly after a few minutes, the Handler hanging back.