The Countdown

Naruto sat quietly on his seat,9 finishing an exam. Behind him, Hayato was already finished, and beside him, Takeshi was playing with his pencil, pretending to play bass. Hayato was tapping his fingers. Naru had one question left to finish when he heard some people from outside the room talk. He heard them through the window with his enhanced senses. Enhanced by the bijuu's chakra.

"Did you hear?"

"What?"

"Someone got attacked today!"

"Who?"

"I heard it's someone from Class A!"

Naruto sighed, then closed his eyes and meditated. Hayato and Takeshi didn't fail to notice this.

Naruto entered his mindscape. He was met with the juubis playing around in chibi-mode. "Hey, guys, have you seen Shukaku?" He asked.

"The dolt's over there," Kurama replied, waving his paws towards a big hill, and Naru walked around it.

True enough, Shukaku was there, just watching the distance. "Hey, whatcha doing?" He asked.

Shukaku's eyes flitted over to him before turning back to the distance. "I miss our world." He said. "I know it's strange, corrupted as it is."

Naru smiled softly. "I miss them, too." He said, sitting down beside Shukaku. "I miss my team and my wife and kids. I wish I could see them again."

"Well, you can, but they can't see you," Shukaku stated. Naruto perked up in surprise.

"I can?" He asked. "How?"

"Well, all you have to do is meditate in one of the areas here, and since these areas represent the countries in our world, you can spectate on whoever you know that is inside it," Shukaku replied. "They can't see you, though." He seemed to deflate at that.

"You must really miss Gaara," Naruto stated. Shukaku huffed, but he blushed.

"Wh-what are you talking about?!" He exclaimed, waving his paws about. "Wh-why the heck would I m-miss that brat?!"

Naruto chuckled. "I had a question." He said. "Since I also have you now, does that mean I can control sand?"

"Well, yeah, brat." Shukaku huffed, relieved that they weren't talking about Gaara anymore. "You can do whatever our previous hosts could do with our powers. Gaara gained that ability from me, but the automatic protection was from his mother. And maybe a little bit from me."

"Oi, kit!" Kurama came up to Naruto's lap. "Your friends are calling you. Better wake up now."

Naruto opened his eyes to look at Takeshi, who sat beside him. "You alright, Tsuna?" He asked.

"Yeah, I just had a little conversation with one of them," Naruto muttered quietly. Takeshi's eyes widened slightly in surprise, but then gained a sad expression. "Hey, he was friendly, no worries."

"Beasts can be friendly, huh?" Takeshi said.

"So, why did you call me again?" Naru asked.

"Well, since we finished our test pretty early, sensei decided to let us go for the seminar today," Takeshi replied.

"Oh, I see," Naruto said, then nodded. He got up and picked up his stuff. They went to the roof, and Naruto stood on the edges, leaning against the newly replaced railings. "Hayato, Takeshi, be careful on your way home, alright? When we get home. I have a feeling something's happening soon. Remember your training." Hayato looked at Naruto, wondering if it was his famous "Intuition" that was speaking.