144

The next morning Martin woke up just after 6am, he noticed that the door to their bedroom was slightly open. Zoe remained curled close to Martin's chest, he reckoned that she'd stay asleep for the next few hours, but for now Martin needed to see Ollie.
Martin shuffled his way out of bed before putting on some clothes and ruffling his growing brown hair, he decided that he probably needed a shave but concluded on checking with Ollie first, he wasn't sure if dropping him to the airport was a wise decision.
When he knocked on Ollie's door there was no response, so he walked in through before seeing the empty bed, made up like no one was ever there.
"Fuck." Uttered Martin out loud, storming into the kitchen but knowing rightly what had happened.
He looked down at the coffee table and saw a pen and a piece of paper. Rubbing his forehead he lifted what appeared to be a note from the table.
Dear Martin,
First of all I'm sorry for leaving during the night, bit of a dick move, but oh well. I'm not 100% sure where I'm gonna go, but please don't come after me. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Be safe and keep you and your family safe. I wish you the best of luck in your new job; you'll be amazing.
Thank you for putting up with me for five years, and in the last month, for making me laugh every single day. You have made my life worth living and in turn I hope that you'll keep going.
Thanks for the memories, for the band and for us, I hope you go far. You deserve the world.
From Ollie.

Martin set down the letter and leaned back on his sofa, something about that letter seemed familiar, he just couldn't put his finger on what exactly. Was it the ending?
He closed his eyes and leant his head in his hands which rubbed his cheeks.

Emily.

"Marty?" Questioned Zoe softly as she protruded into the kitchen wrapped in a white dressing gown.
Martin looked up at her, his eyes dropping slightly and his jaw unstable.
Without exchanging any words Zoë knew exactly what had happened and invited him into a warm embrace which he took grievously.
"I've- I've gotta go and visit my sister today." Said Martin, "she lives just outside London. I promised her I would."
"That's really good." Zoë Replied, glad that he was willingly going to see his only family member.
Martin tried to spill out more words but concluded with a shaky sigh while his eyes and nose tensed.
Zoe held him tighter, "he'll be okay." She said, referring to Ollie.
"He's suicidal, Zoe." Martin Replied, leaning back against the sofa as she sat down beside him, her hands on his knees and shaking her head.
"Martin.. I.. I don't know what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks but... what else can you do? You've got to keep going. Nothing, nothing can be changed." She said, sympathetically,
"But it could have if I didn't walk out on him last night!" He cried.
"You what?" Questioned Zoe.
"He was lying... I think, well I don't know.. he.. he said that he dared his sister to walk on the road that day.. that day she died.. and I just- I just walked out. I just abandoned him I- I betrayed him-"
"Martin.. you have done nothing wrong." She denied, placing her hands on his hot cheeks before he just broke down into tears.
"I-I j-just dont want anything to happen to him." He breathed, "god he's so young... if he goes I'm going-"
"Martin, stop." Sighed Zoë, "please just stop."
She stood up and walked over to the kitchen leaning against the counter with her back facing Martin while her unborn children turned inside of her, making her shiver in the pain.
Martin stood up and walked behind her, placing his hands on her waist,
"I didn't mean that.." he sighed, pressing his face against her neck.
"Yes you did." She croaked, letting her head fall onto her hands that lay on the table, "fuck I hate being pregnant."
"You're doing amazingly." Soothed Martin,
"Obviously not enough to make you want to stay alive!" She cried.
Martin bit his lip and leaned his forehead on the back of her neck, closing his eyes in the emotional agony he was facing.
"I want to stay with you." He whispered into her warm soft skin, "I don't wanna die because I don't wanna miss a single second of being with you."
Zoe turned around and hugged him, burying her face into his chest and closing her eyes.
"I love you, Martin. Never forget that." She breathed,
"I won't." He promised, kissing her forehead and holding her in this embrace until his phone rang.
"For god's sake.." he muttered, running his hands down her spine before breaking the hug apart and lifting his phone from the counter, seeing Lottie's number light up the screen.
"It's fricking Saturday!" He moaned before pressing answer,
"Hello, Martin McCafferson." He answered, walking over to the large glass doors and opening them.
"Morning, Martin. Sorry to disturb you- are you free for a few minutes?" She Asked,
"Yeah of course, what's the matter?" Responded Martin, walking out onto the cool grass in his bare feet, feeling the refreshing sea breeze.
"I forgot to tell you about a meeting you have tomorrow-"
"Tomorrow? They do meetings on Sundays?" He questioned, walking further down onto the sand.
"Occasionally, unfortunately. And you've been caught up in one." Chuckled Lottie.
"Goodness me, my weekend is ruined!" He Replied, "whats the topic?"
"It's with all the other principles regarding mental health and money spent on bringing people in to speak about it."
"Jolly good!" Martin Responded, "that'll be a nice ice breaker for me."
He gave a sarcastic grin before Lottie continued,
"Yeah, well I'm just about to email you a little document that I've made with pictures of each of the principles that will be there, what there names are and a little bit about their personalities."
Martin burst out laughing, "Lottie, you are absolutely amazing, has anyone ever told you that?!"
Lottie Giggled in response, "what else has an widowed old receptionist got to do on their weekends?"
"Oh Lottie, thanks a million!" He told her, slipping off his t-shirt and feeling the cold breeze along his chest.
"Well I'll let you go now- sorry if I woke you." Apologised Lottie,
"Oh you didn't, don't worry. Thanks for that- oh- what time is it?" Asked Martin, taking off his trousers too.
"It's at 9.30 in your office." She informed him,
"Brilliant. Have a good weekend."
"Oh definitely. I hope you and Zoe have a good weekend too."
"Me and Zoe?" Questioned Martin with a laugh,
"Oh stop denying it, it's obvious." She replied warmly.
Martin kept laughing before shaking his head, "right, bye."
He set down his phone before taking a step into the sea and diving in, submerging himself under the cold yet refreshing water as a means of escaping everything.