Not Meant To Be (pt. 1)

You met Billy on the first day back to school after summer break. He was a fresh breeze that blew in from sunny California. The moment his eyes caught yours ogling at him from across the room during English class, you knew you were forming a crush on Hawkins High School's newest king. Your friends told you that you were crazy for crushing on someone to unpredictable and full of himself. Their concerns made sense, though—you weren't exactly Billy's type.

At least, you didn't think you were. Billy didn't even realize you were his type until you two were paired for a partner project in English. The task was to write about a book or movie in a different point of view. Billy said he didn't care what the two of you wrote about, so you picked your favorite movie series in the entire world: Star Wars. Billy wasn't a fan of the movies, but it made him smile seeing how animated you got when you tried to explain the plot of the movies. You also threw in some theories about the next movies.

You were a complete dork, so unlike the other girls Billy spent his time with. Billy loved that about you. Too bad there was one major thing that came in between the two of you: your father.

You were born to strict parents who planned out every little detail in your life. They picked what clubs you would be involved in, what sports you would play, and what colleges you would apply to. They even picked out a suitor for you, the son of a family friend. His name was Jacob, and as attractive as he was, he wasn't a particularly nice person. He put up a good front around your parents, but the moment they were out of view, his smile would drop and his bitter attitude would come out. It was clear that he didn't like you, but thought that you would make a good housewife.

Fuck that you thought.

With Billy, you were actually happy. He brought out the best of you, and you brought out the best of him. You two couldn't meet that often outside of school, so when you did it was a big deal. Billy refused to take you to his house, which was understandable after he explained the situation with his father's anger issues, so you two would meet up at the local public park. It was usually during the middle of the night so you could sneak out without having to lie to your parents about where you were going. You knew that if your parents found out you were climbing out of your bedroom window once or twice a week to see Billy Hargrove, they would lose their shit. You'd probably be locked up in your room for the rest of your life.

Billy understood the secrecy of your relationship. He knew how it was being scared of your own father.

You two were so different, yet shared so many similarities.

One night you slid out of your bedroom window in your jeans and jacket to protect yourself from the chilly fall night. You practically skipped to the park as your fingers ran over your lips, still feeling the ghost of Billy's lips from earlier at school. It was your first kiss, and it was magical.

As soon as you made it to the park, you spotted Billy lightly swinging on the swing set. You walked over to him while suppressing a grin.

The sound of the rocks under your shoes drew his eyes forward. His lips rigged upwards as his eyes landed on you.

Billy stood and closed the gap between the two of you, his arms snaking around your waist and pulling you flush against his chest, lifting your feet off the ground slightly. His lips smashed against yours in a sweet bliss.

When he set you down but kept his hands on your hips, you bit your lip to suppress your giddy smile and whispered, "Hi."

Billy leaned his forehead against yours. "Hi." His breath fanned across your face, the scent of mint filling your nose. "Guess what I brought."