【CHAPTER ONE】

—chapter one.

  ❛ wednesdays always suck

  ❛ wednesdays always suck. ❜  

ELODIE DID NOT PARTICULARLY LIKE HER JOB.

It was not a bad job, per se. It certainly paid the bills, and moreover, allowed her to afford a good apartment with utilities included in the costs (oh, what a luxury).  Nothing fancy, but a not-bad job hardly allowed for a penthouse suite.

She was good at the work, too. She was able to sort it all into step-by-step procedures that she could hum out in her head, preparing the drinks and wiping down counters to a melody-less song. Her coworkers were friendly enough, and her boss wasn't the worst - sure, he had hit on her at first, but a quick conversation and he had left her alone. She could buzz around and work her way through an eight hour shift comfortably, easily if the occasion allowed it. Sure, she left her job each night exhausted, swearing under her breath and hating the world around her - but that was any job.

No, the place of work was fine and being a bartender was fine, but she did not particularly enjoy it. At all. It was hardly a full-time career goal, and not where she had imagined herself when she got to her twenties. Not that many did, but still - weren't there some achievable dreams, left in the world? At least one or two to spare for her, give her a little bit more in life? 

Whatever 'more' was supposed to mean to her.

Such was the issue of Elodie's life. She knew there was more she wanted from the world, but did not know what or how, and so the world just kept screwing her over, again and again. And she just kept going about her life hating it, continuing to be the reason why she was so unhappy and yet knowing nothing about how to stop it.

Not that it was entirely her fault. But sometimes, it was easier to pretend it was.

And so she scrubbed and served and polished glasses on a bleak Wednesday night, eyeing the crowd with a disgruntled grimace and begging for time to speed up already, so she could get the hell out of there.

Elodie did not like Wednesdays.

Truthfully, Elodie did not like a lot of things. But Wednesdays were pretty high on her 'dislike' list, for several reasons. They were in the right middle of the work week, and just about the peak of her frustrations and hatred for her life choices, leading to a pissy attitude and self-deprecating habits that led to her making much less than she would another day. The people that came in always sucked on Wednesdays too. Too loud, too grumpy, too high on their metaphorical horse to ask her nicely for a single thing, leading to shouting matches way too often and often some sort of consequence she'd regret later.