【CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE】

—chapter twenty-five.

  ❛ I said it was done for a reason

  ❛ I said it was done for a reason. ❜  

"SINCE WHEN DO YOU MOVE DELIVERY DAYS?"

Elodie shot Claire a sleepy smile, barely glancing up from her paperwork. "Since I stopped smoking cigarettes."

"You smoked?"

"Not really, no. I -- damn, that joke didn't make any sense," she grumbled. "Nevermind. I moved it to Tuesday's so I could take Ellis to his night classes.

"Oh?" 

"He's taking an early college, uh, connecting class or something. And he needed a ride."

Claire frowned. Those dark brows Elodie admired so greatly furrowed over her eyes. "College classes? Isn't your kid like, thirteen?"

"Fourteen, and yes. But you know, he's a couple grades about his expected. And York offers these classes for juniors and seniors to get them, uh..." she hesitated, skimming her piles in search of the paper she was looking for. She hummed a soft note of excitement when she found it again. "Great. Oh! Right, uh...damn, what was I saying?"

The girl across from her just grinned, bemused at her boss' absent-minded nature. "You're all good. I get the picture. And I'll let the others know to expect Tuesday deliveries."

"Perfect, yeah. I let the morning shift know, but if you could just confirm? That way we don't have any confusion."

"No sweat. Anything else you need?"

Elodie shook her head, grinning up at Claire. "I'm all good on this front. Let me know if things get busy though, 'kay? Warren took the afternoon off and I'm not expecting a rush, so I didn't schedule anyone in. But if so..."

"...I'll holler," she replied. "But no worries."

With a thumbs up and grin, the girl was gone, leaving Elodie alone with her piles of paperwork deserted in her ever forgetful nature. 

Owning a bar had never been her dream. Working at Wallow's, a good portion of her first adult years had simply been to survive. She knew enough about alcohol to serve the poison fast and easy, and the atmosphere was comfortable, if a little taxing. But she hadn't imagined staying in the trade. Once she could, Elodie had thought of leaving it behind, pursuing a new low-rank service career and getting bored with that too.