prolouge.

annie's lip trembled as she sat in front of her parents. "mom, dad, i- i'm gay."

her father stood up and towered over the small girl. "julianna grace leblanc. don't you ever say that under this roof again."

the brunette wiped a stray tear from her flushed cheek. "dad— i'm sorry! i can't help it, i've tried to deny it for so long! this is who i am."

billy shook his head in disbelief, before storming out of the family's living room.

annie's mother took her hand and squeezed it. "it's okay annie," she reassured.

annie's watery eyes looked up and met her mom's. "you-you don't hate me?"

katie bit her lip, "well, uh— of course not sweetie. i still love you endlessly, darling."

"you accept me?" annie asked nervously.

"well— we're going to fix you. don't worry. just don't tell anyone, and i'll talk to father patrick. he'll know exactly what to do. i heard that-"

annie pulled her hand away from her mother's. "fix me?"

katie smiled at her daughter, "pray the gay away, you know," she laughed.

"mom. you can't 'fix me' because i'm not broken! i don't want you to 'pray the gay away'! i'm proud of who i am!" annie yelled.

her mother was appalled, "but julianna, homosexuality is a sin. i'm trying to help you!"

"mom. do you have any idea how many times i've cried myself to sleep over this, or how many times i've cut my thighs, or how many times i've almost said 'fuck it' and just left because i dreaded that you'd react like this?"

"annie-"

"no, don't say anything. just leave me alone," annie hissed, trying to fight back the tears that threatened to spill. she stood up and stormed up to her bedroom. 'fuck it' she thought, pulling her phone out from the back pocket of her blue jeans.

she logged onto instagram and posted a new picture.

***

liked by kenzie, calebleblanc and 234 others

annieleblanc fun fact about me: i'm a lesbian. and you ain't gonna pray this gay away. she's staying right here.

comments are disabled

***

'screw you, mom. i'll tell whoever i want to tell,' annie thought to herself as she clicked 'share' and locked her phone.