three.

written in annie's pov

"kenzie," i exclaim, "run away with me!"

kenzie's eyebrows shoot up in surprise, "you're joking, right?"

i shake my head, "of course not. we could actually do it. just, like, get up and leave. never look back."

kenzie crosses her arms across her chest and stares out the bay window, "fucking hell annie," she whispers, "we can't just run away."

i force her to look me in the eye. "why the hell not?"

"because we have school!" mackenzie exclaims.

"fuck school, you're a genius anyway," i tell her, taking her hands in mine. "please, kenzie, please. i can't stay here any longer. it's either i run away or i ki-"

mackenzie shoves her hand over my mouth, "don't fucking say it. i'll run away with you, on one condition." she gently peels her hand away. "i'll run away with you, if you stop hurting yourself."

"okay," i whisper shakily.

"promise?" she says quietly, sticking her pinky out like a child.

i link my pinky finger in hers, "promise."

"where will we go?" kenzie asks quietly.

i shrug, thinking. then it hits me. "your house in pittsburgh. it's empty, right? we could have the whole house to ourselves."

mackenzie bites her lip, "i-i guess. how would we get there?"

"buses, trains, hitch hike?"

i watch kenzie's mind whirring for a few moments. i study the way she chews down on her bottom lip, biting at the dry skin. "okay," she whispers.

"really? like, promise?" i ask nervously. my hands are shaking, and i have a sick feeling in my stomach.

kenzie takes me hand and squeezes it gently, "i promise. when do we leave?"

"this time next week. next saturday, we get on the train and we don't look back," i say, quietly but confidently.

"okay. can we tell anyone?"

"jayden, so she doesn't freak out. i'll tell caleb. he'll threaten to tell mom, but i know he won't go through with it. you can tell maddie," i explain, my mind racing.

"can i tell johnny?" kenzie asks quietly.

i bow my head. inhaling, i mutter, "i don't know."

"annie..." she whispers, giving me a soft pleading look, "he's my best friend. second best friend, to you of course, but a very close second."

"okay fine," i answer, giving in, "but if he tells anyone anything i will murder him."

"i'll help, don't worry." we sit in silence for a while before kenzie speaks up again. "annie?"

"mhm?"

"can we cuddle or something? i feel pretty empty right now."

i give her a silent nod and we both stand up and make our way to her king size. she crawls under the covers and gently pats the space next to her. i slide in next to her, curling up until i feel her arms around me.

we lay together, my back pressed up against her stomach, one of her hands round my waist, the other gently playing with my hair.

it's only eight o'clock, but i can feel my eyelids growing heavier. i let them droop, because i feel safe, and warm, and still. i feel happy, for once.