Chapter Three

Luke and I took our seats in the far back left corner of  the gymnasium, behind the speaker systems and the spotlights

Luke and I took our seats in the far back left corner of the gymnasium, behind the speaker systems and the spotlights. Away from the crowds, mostly so that no one would chuck stuff at me.

I never quite understood the motive behind why most people treated me the way they did. I wasn't mean. At least I didn't think I was. I could be sarcastic at times, but that was hardly an excuse to treat me like a piece of fish that sat on the counter overnight. My mother's behaviour on the other hand, I understood to a certain extent. She had lost the same thing I did that day, after all.

"We can hang out after school. You'd like that, right?"

The air left my lungs, a small shudder escaping me. That was not something I needed to think about right now. I nervously glanced at Luke. As expected, he was looking at me with narrowed eyes, trying to dissect my expression. Why was it that he had to inspect every detail when I didn't want him to? No, I was not okay, but I obviously couldn't tell him that. He'd go nuts for the rest of the day wanting to know why I was so upset.

"Seriously though, Terra, you do not seem like yourself," Luke stated. I turned to look at him and was taken aback by the concern laced through every inch of his expression. "Let's get you out of here." He said. He was reading too much into this.

"No, I'm okay, I told you." I said hastily. He was catching on. Not good.

"I'll meet you in the back parking lot, but make sure you come alone."

The flashback shot through my mind like a bullet from a gun, and much to my dismay, my hands shook as I felt the fear forcing itself down my throat to squeeze my lungs, and the stupid tear stubbornly rolling down my cheek. The instant that happened, before I could even wipe the infernal thing away, Luke grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet.

"No. You're not okay," He said strongly, determination shining in his gaze. I knew trying to convince him otherwise at this point would be useless, so I just let him lead me away.

He took me out to the front of the school, near where his car was parked.

"You don't have to talk about what's bothering you, but please don't lie to me about how you're feeling." He said, a hint of sadness in his eyes. I hated lying to him, and I knew I wasn't good at it, but I didn't think I could bring myself to talk about what happened that day.

My hands were still shaking as I tried to calm myself down, but before I knew it, a few more tears escaped the Fort Knox I'd like to think my tear ducts were. Sadly, today was just not the best day for me.

"It's really not a big deal, we should go back inside." I said through the foreboding constriction of my throat.

Do not cry. Hold it together, girl. Do. Not. Cry.