Please, Just Say I Love You (1)

Chapter 1

Hermione

Hermione remembered the first time she came to Diagon Alley with her parents. Earlier that month Minerva McGonagall- later called Professor McGonagall- had shown up at her house and explained to her parents that Hermione was a witch and asked her to attend Hogwarts until graduation. Her parents were so proud, and she, so happy. She could still remember buying her school supplies: robes, books, and a wand with her parents at her side. At the time, Hermione couldn't imagine going without them. They've always been there for her but now they weren't.

She walked into the Leaky Cauldron and heavily sat down at the bar next to other witches and wizards- who looked awestruck and flustered to see her. "Good ev'ning, Ms. Granger," Tom, the bartender, greeted with a smile.

"Evening, Tom," She sighed tiredly, "Butterbeer please."

"'Ight away." Tom bustled away to get her drink and Hermione, indifferent to all the people now staring at her, looked down at the picture clenched in her hand. It was her family photo. It didn't move like most wizarding pictures. Instead, it was a normal muggle picture which she liked better because it resembled the part of her life that was ordinary or non-magical.

Her dad was to the far left with his arm slung across her mum's shoulders and while she was looking down at Hermione, her eyes seemed to say, We're so proud of you, Hermione! Hermione sat in between with a book hugged to her chest- a very her thing to do. They were all smiling ear-to-ear and they looked- and were- a happy family. But not anymore, Hermione thought bitterly, dropping the photo on the counter and shoved it away.

Before the second war began she obliviate her from their memories and sent them to Australia so they were safe.

If only... If only I could get home; I could help the Minister before someone else finds them, she thought anxiously. Much to her disappointment the new Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, forbade her from anywhere near her childhood home. Instead, Hermione was forced to stay at the Leaky Cauldron until school started.

"'Ere ya are, Miss Granger," Tom announced setting a mug in front of Hermione and snapping her out of her brooding. "Is there anything else I can git fer ya?"

"No thank you, Tom, and for the last time, please call me Hermione. I feel so old with you calling me 'Miss.'" She tried to laugh but it was hollow and she quickly cut it off with a cough.

"'Ave they found 'im yet?" He asked nodding to her abandoned photo.

Hermione shook her head sadly and answered, "No, they can't find a single trace of them. It's like they just disappeared. I want to go look for them but with all the deatheaters still on the loose..."

"Prolly a good choice, it is. A perty famous girl like yer-self wouldn't make it very long with all those unnameables," Tom said. Hermione's frown deepened but decided against saying she could take care of herself-she'd done it before. But she didn't feel like arguing with him.

She sighed and took a sip of her drink. In her mind she battled whether or not ask the question that plagued her since the day she left her house to fight in the war.

"Depends," Tom answered winking. Most people thought Tom was flirting with Hermione but the truth to their relationship was simple. They were just friends. Over the course of her stay in the Leaky Cauldron and Tom was the only one who treated her like a normal witch.

"Do you think they're really out there-" Her voice drifted off, unable to voice that terrifying thoughts.

"Miss Gr- I mean 'ermione- don't trouble yer-self. They're out there and I bet they're waiting for ya ta find 'im ," Tom comforted her.