儚い | EPHEMERAL

儚い  ( hakanai )
ephemeral, fleeting, empty

00 | p r o l o g u e

"Come forward, Guardian Angel.

Protect this flower that will wither soon.

Take the appearance of its beloved.

Follow it; grow with it; exist for its sake.

Know not its name, but its story and heart.

Finally when you wither alongside it, let it see you; and you will come to know.

Celestial Guardian, protect her!"

— ○ —

Fluterring his eyes open, an otherworldly being took in this world's appearance. Dim, white lights illuminated the area where a girl was sitting.

They were at a hospital.

A type of energy attracted the being to the girl, and he walked towards her. She was silently weeping.

His eyes scanned over the girl. Her red hair fell just above her shoulders, and her eyes were green. She looked a bit frail as well. Beautiful, in the male's opinion, but he wondered why she was sad.

He walked through the corridor. His guts told him not to go anywhere away from the girl, but he ignored it for now. He searched for a mirror, or a mirror like surface to let himself know how he looked.

Finally he came across a steel, reflective door. He squinted his eyes, and saw himself clearly.

He had light blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. He was tall, but not very built up. He didn't look much older than the girl. The noticeable things were two large, white feathery wings on his back. He could move them around, which indicated that he could fly as well.

An angel.

Suddenly a deep ache pierced through his heart. He clutched his chest, utterly confused as to why this was happening. He knew he had to get back, so he quickly rushed to where the girl was sitting.

She was now talking to a woman who looked exactly like her, just a bit older and with blonde hair.

"Mum, I can't believe this.." The younger female spoke, her voice broken.

"Life will have ups and downs, my dear. We have no choice but to cope with them." The older woman placed her hand on the younger as she said. "And it's not over yet. The doctors have told us to keep faith, because they might just be able to save Haruka."

"You're right.." The girl replied shortly.

The girl's mother looked at the clock hanging on the wall. The angel followed her gaze to see that it's half past midnight.

"Let's go back now. I've told Haru's mother to keep us updated." She said.

"Alright." The girl nodded.

They started walking, and the angel followed like a lost puppy. But before that, he took a peek inside the cabin right in front of them. To his surprise, he saw that the patient lying on the bed looked exactly like himself. There was no difference, except for the wings.

He stared wide eyed until the females went too far, and he had to catch up to them.

"Ring!"

The angel was suddenly shocked to hear the sound of a bell. He swore the sound came from the girl's mother. His eyebrows knitted together as he paid more attention to what she was saying.

"Yes, mum?" The girl said.

"Keep faith, alright. The ring!  Haru knows wouldn't break down like this."

That sound again!

The girl smiled a bit. "I will, mum. Don't worry. Hopefully he'll come back to us safe and sound."

"Yes."

What is this sound that comes from the elder woman?

The angel realized that he knows absolutely nothing about this world. A lot of things were confusing, but whatever happened, one thing was for sure.

He knew from the inside that he had to be there for the girl all the time, and protect her no matter what.