School

I wake up to the sun pouring through my windows. I sit up, squinting to see my clock. It's 7:00. OH SHIT I'M LATE! I rush to my dresser and grab my lucky long black shirt with my favorite black skinny jeans and run down to the living room, grabbing my backpack and the keys to my car. My parents wanted me to go to school so I can "socialize" with my peers when they actually bully me and beat me to a pulp. I hop in my car and squeal out of the driveway to school.

~~~~

When I arrive, I sprint up to my 1st period class of science in Mrs. Chanza's room. She is one of my favorite teachers, and she knows what I've been going through. I quietly open the door and she looks up at me and smiles sorrowfully. I sneak into my seat and she talks about organisms and cells but I barely listen. The bell eventually rings and I head out to leave for algebra 2. I make it to my locker before the bullies show up. The biggest and baddest of all the bullies at Ridgeway High School, Ryan Zember, comes up to me, grabbing my collar and pinning me against my locker.

"So I heard your brother died, Way." He snarls. "What did you do? Cry about it like the wus you are?" He and his lackeys laugh as he slams me against the locker a couple of times. He let's go of me and land on my knees on the ground. He grabs my hair and yanks me up to look at him. He begins to punch me in the face. The pain is bad, but not as bad as my guilt for Mikey. I feel blood splatter onto my face as my cheek rips open. He slams me against the locker one last time, and leaves with one of his lackeys kicks me in the groin. There goes the babymaker. I smile to myself. I stumble to my feet and snatch my books up and hurry to 2nd period.

~~~~

At lunch, I sit close to the doors. I don't have many friends, but they would never let me sit with them at lunch. So I just sit on the floor, not eating anything, happily drawing in my sketchbook. I look back at some of my best drawings like the boy that appears in all my dreams and some superheroes and stuff. It is the one thing I love now that Mikey is gone. Suddenly I lose my grasp on my sketchbook. The bullies have it! I frantically scramble up and reach for it, but he is too tall.

"You want it, emo? Why don't we just take a skim through it," he says, opening the book. He looks at the drawings of the boy and laughs.

"It this your boyfriend, Way?" His friends laugh. Angry tears form in my eyes.

"Oh, you don't need this," he says, ripping the book in half. I ball my fists and punch him square in the nose. His goons grab my arms and legs and punch me and kick me.

"Goodnight, Way." He says as I slowly go unconscious.

~~~~

I wake up with a start. My mom is sitting in front of me at my house and eases me back down. She says something unintelligible and the room swims around me. She smiles at me and ruffles my hair.

"Are you alright? You took quite a beating there, kiddo." I feel tears stream down my face.

"They ripped up my sketchbook. It was the only thing I really care about." She nods sorrowfully and grabs my hand.

"Well, let's get you cleaned up a little bit and you can lay back down." She picks up my hand and I slowly sit up and make my way to my feet. I shuffle to the bathroom and stand in front of the mirror. My cheeks and eyes are purple with bruises and my forehead is swollen with blood smeared all over it. My nose is crooked in an odd position and my lip is bleeding down my chin. My mom hands me a wet dishtowel and I begin to wipe my face. Most of the blood is gone, but the swelling and bruises are just the same. I hobble up to my room and lay down on my bed. I fall into a peaceful slumber, having dreams about the boy that was in my sketchbook.