Territory of Papua

In 1883 the colony of Queensland tried to annex the southern jalf of eastern New Guinea, but the British government did not approve.
However, when Germany began the settlement in the north, a British protectorate was proclaimed in 1884 over the southern coast of New Guinea and it's adjacent island. The protectorate called it British New Guinea and it was annex outright on 4 September,1884.
The possession was placed under the authority of commonwealth of Australia in 1906.
Following the passage of the Papua Act in 1905 British  New Guinea became the Territory of Papua and formal  Australian administration began in 1906.
Although Papua was remained under their control of a British possession until the independence of Papua New Guinea in 1975.

There was a little economic activity in Papua. The Australian administered it separately under the Papua Act until it was invaded by the Empire of Japanese in 1941,and a civil administration suspended. During the Pacific War, Papua was governed by an Australian military administration from Port Moresby, where general Douglas MacArthur occasionally made his headquarters.

 During the Pacific War, Papua was governed by an Australian military administration from Port Moresby, where general Douglas MacArthur occasionally made his headquarters

Flag under German control of New Guinea.

Hopefully You enjoy reading❤.