Independence

Elections in 1972 resulted in formation of a ministry headed by Cheif Minister Michael Somare, who pledged to lead the country to self-government and then to independence.
Papua New Guinea became self-government on December 1, 1973 and achieve independence on September 16,1975. The country  joined the United Nations on October 10,1975 by  the way of the Security Council Resolution 375 and General Assembly resolution 3368.The 1977 election  confirmed Michael Somare as the Prime Minister at the head of a coalition led by the Pangu Party.
However,his government lost a vote of no confidence in 1980 and was replaced by a new cabinet headed by Sir Julius Chan as Prime Minister. The 1982 elections increased Pangu's plurality, and parliament  again chose Somare as Prime Minister. In November 1985 ,the Somare government lost another vote of no  confidence,and the parliamentary majority elected Paias Wingti, at the head of a five-party coalition,as Prime Minister . A  coalition,  headed by Wingti, was vicorious in very  close to elections in July 1987. In July 1988, a vote of no confidence toppled Wingti and brought to power Rabbie Namaliu, who a few weeks earlier  had replaced Somare as the leader  of the  Pangu Party.

Such reversals of fortune and a revolving doors  of prime ministers  continue to  characterize Papua New Guinea's national politics. A plethora of political parties, coalition  governments, shifting party loyalties and motions of  no confidence in the leadership all lend an air of instability to political processings. Under legislation intended to enhance stability, new governments remain immune from no confidence votes for the first eighteen months  of their incumbency.

A nine year secessionist revolt on the island of Bougainville claimed  about 20,000 lives. The rebellion began in  early 1989, active  hostilities ended with a truce in October 1997 and a permanent cease-fire in April 1998. A peace agreement between the Government and ex-combatants was signed  in August 2001. A regional peace-monitoring and a  UN (United Nation) observer mission monitors the government and provincial leaders who have established an interim  administration and are working toward  complete surrender of weapons,the elecion of the provincial government and an eventual referendum of independence.

The government and the rebels negotiated a peace agreement that established the Bougainville Autonomous District and province. The autonomous Bougainville elected Joseph Kabui as president in 2005 , who served until his death in 2008. He was succeeded by his deputy John  Tabinaman as acting president while an election to fill  the unexpired term was organized. James Tanis won the election in December 2008 and served until the inauguration of John Momis, the winner of the 2010 election. As part of the current peace settlement, a referendum on independence is planned to be held in Bougainville sometimes before mid -2020. Preparations were underway in 201. Numerous  Chinese have worked and lived in Papua New Guinea,establishing majority communities. Chinese merchants became established in the island before European exploration. Anti-Chinese rioting involving of thousands of people broke out in May 2009.The initial spark was a fight  between ethnic  Chinese and Papua New Guinean at a nickel factory under construction by a Chinese company. Native resentment against Chinese ownership of numerous small businesses and their commercial monopoly in the islands led to the rioting. The Chinese have long been merchants in Papua New Guinea. On the same year Papua New Guinea asked various southeast nations for their support Papua New Guinea's full membership bid in the association of Southeast Asian Nations.Indonesia supported the bid after Papua New Guinea supported Indonesia's hold on West Papua.

However, Christian majority in Philippines and  Buddhist  majority in Thailand,Vietnam and  Cambodia have expressed displeasure over Papua New Guinea's anti-LGBT laws, stating that equality friendly Timor-Leste would most likely be a more feasible member state in the future.
From February to March 2018, a chain of earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea,  causing various damages.

Various nations of Oceania,Australia,the Philippines and Timor-Leste immediately sent aid to the country.

Hiiii, Hopefully y'all have enjoyed
❤❤❤❤ 😘😘.