Chapter Ten: Ice Cold

The Minister called a press conference in the Atrium not too long after they had their third discussion about the case. It was more so just for gathering information to release to the angry public as more fear was rising.

Eleanor and Colin stood by the Minister's side as she gave her speech, looking ahead at the dozens of flashing cameras lined up.

"To put it simply, there is an extremist group that has shown a trend in targeting pureblood agenda advocates." said Wilhelmina, standing her ground before the podium. "Whether they're affiliated with threats we are familiar with between the Irish and the Red Scouts, or something entirely new, has yet to be determined."

There were mixed reactions among the crowd that Eleanor could see beyond the camera flashes and journalists. There were groans of disdain for the pureblood agenda and a groan that came from those who wouldn't admit they supported it. Eleanor felt quite stuck in the middle knowing that the very people she worked under were majority pureblood advocates.

"Concrete evidence is hard to come by but we are making the most logical conclusions we possibly can based on what we've discovered thus far. Our Aurors are hard at work tearing into a long overdue notion that treason of the Ministry will not be tolerated. This case is slow yet somehow taking up most of the hours within our day. I am requesting—begging, even, that anyone who believes they know someone who fit their suspect description that they please send in tips."

It would make sense to make Julius and Anna sort through the tips while Eleanor handled the typical daily work of the Auror department, but the Minister insisted she take this on considering it was her idea to open up the case. In a way, it worked out just in case anyone gave in a tip about Tom or the other Death Eaters.

Speaking of that lot, Eleanor's daily routine also included them. Throughout the course of January and into February, she noticed the slight increase in paperwork regarding individuals who worked for Tom. Mostly those associated with Orion and Cygnus Black, having been informed of those who do their secret business, are the ones causing the most ruckus but there was only so much she could do when they were apart of gangs that riddled Knockturn Alley.

They were merely misdemeanors, only requiring a fine, but some were borderline deserving a full on visit to address the matter. It went from unregistered travel, purchasing illegal substances, to using an excessive amount of dangerous spells.
Most of these actions occurred everyday, as most average Wizards and Witches may do such things once in a while, therefore overlooked. Or at the very least, they don't get caught.

Eleanor knew that she could only cover up so much before it became suspicious.

By the third week or so, it came to the point where the Malfoy Manor and its piling misdemeanors were recognized by Colin.

"I need you to write Abraxas. I don't know what he's been up to but it's sketchy and we need to address these papers piling up." Colin said, placing down the folder. "I'll let you handle it because I know you two were friends but if you find any reason to have suspicion, I trust you will let me know. Next mark up about him I'm taking this to Wilhelmina."

Eleanor nodded, smiling briefly. "Will do. Also, we're hardly friends. The man bullied me my entire childhood." she noted.

Colin scoffed, halfway out the door of her office. "Bully you? How is he still alive?"

With his charming smile, he exited the room and hers dropped immediately. Her feelings were at a crossroad-- no, they were strapped down to train tracks awaiting a very slow moving train.

This case was consuming her every waking moment as she sorted through faces new and old as potential suspects.

But they both reached a mutual understanding not to let it interfere with their job and cool down for a while. That didn't mean that he didn't try to flirt every once in a while. But the fact that he could be involved in this somehow still didn't sit right with her. The cover up he tried to pull left a sour taste in her mouth, but not as much as believing they would try again did.