~ Chapter Seven ~

Kirsten used her return to the lobby to collect herself before heading back up to the thirtieth floor. By the time she stepped onto the executive floor of Beaumont Industries she felt a bit more steady on her feet, at least until she came upon a reception desk that made her feel small and insignificant like a child standing at the principal's desk.

As she drew closer she was pleasantly surprised to see the assistant was male, but the look on the man's rail-thin face quickly cancelled out any warm feelings she was entertaining. His features were unattractively pinched and she could see he held himself to be rather important nestled inside his glossy throne.

"Hello, I'm here to see Evan Beaumont."

He assessed her with an acid-like gaze and turned back to his multiple computer screens without so much as a blink.

"I said I'm here to see—"

"I heard you the first time," the man replied tartly, "Mr Beaumont isn't here."

She instantly thought of five different reasons why the powerful man wasn't there to meet her, and none of them were good.

"Has our meeting been cancelled?"

"No."

She breathed a silent sigh of relief. "Is he running late?"

"Mr Beaumont does not run late." The man's expression tightened even more. "It just figures. I told Candace to call you and give you the message. He and Mr Beaumont are waiting for you in his office."

"In this office?"

"No, Mr Beaumont's office."

He clearly considered the conversation done because he picked up his pen and began writing something down, then pivoted away from her and back to his computer screens.

She impulsively reached over the high partition and plucked the old-fashion pen from his unsuspecting hand. The surprising maneuver resulted in the effect she hoped for, and she suddenly had the haughty man's complete attention.

"I'm sorry, did you think we were finished? I have a meeting with Evan Beaumont and he should be expecting me. Could you kindly direct me where to go?"

His gaze remained riveted on the pen, and for a moment Kirsten knew exactly where the pinched-face man wanted her to go. Instead, he composed his features into what he mistakenly thought looked courteous and said, "Mr Beaumont will be meeting you with the CFO, John Beaumont, in John Beaumont's office. It's down the hall and behind the boardroom to your left."

She dropped the heavy pen on his desk and watched with a touch of satisfaction as ink splattered across his page. "Thank you," she tilted back his nameplate, "Greg. I'll be sure to mention how helpful you were to Mr Beaumont. Both of them."

She walked away feeling a small fire ignite inside of her and squared her shoulders as she turned down a corridor and prepared for round two.

It was all well and good to put a smarmy assistant in his place, but what did that matter when her business was with the Beaumonts? Who were these people? Sure, they they were construction and development magnates, socialites and philanthropists, but what advantage did any of that give her? Better yet, who was she to be coming at them?

Her growing list of questions also had her asking why the Beaumonts were changing the stage for their discovery meeting. Did they think they could rattle her by stacking more Beaumont Boys against her?

Joke's on you, she thought with little humour. Travis Enterprises is on the edge of ruin and I'm already a basket case.  There's not much more you can shake me with.