~ Chapter Twenty Three ~

"How many times have I told you everything will be fine?"

"At least six. Tell me again."

"Everything will be fine," Evan replied automatically as he maneuvered his Porsche through the midday traffic and towards the offices of Beaumont Industries.

"I've seen Danny lose his temper a thousand times, but this was different."

"How so?"

"We weren't just mad. We were cruel to each other."

"Is his temper anything like yours?"

She smiled at that. Evan had already been on the receiving end of her temper more than once, so she couldn't exactly be upset at his wont for comparison.

"You might want to cut him some slack, kitten. He's already told you he'll keep your confidence, even if he didn't say it in the nicest way. He probably just needs some time to cool off."

"I don't know. Things got... heated. And it brought up some bad blood from the past. We said some things I don't think either of us can take back."

His curiosity peaked at that, but he could see she wasn't going to elaborate so he left it alone. He spared her a glance before he looked in his rearview mirror and deftly changed lanes.

"Stay focused on the positives. Your stepmother handled the news well enough and will back the sale."

She turned in her seat to face him more squarely. "Why didn't you tell me you knew her?"

He considered her words. "I guess I do, don't I? Honestly, I've never given it much thought. I was leaving a meeting with Carl, and when I walked out she was walking in. I was on my phone checking emails, said 'hello' and 'nice to meet you' and whatnot when Carl made introductions, and then I left for my next meeting. I'd hardly classify that as knowing the woman."

"Well, she remembers you," she said, more suggestively than she meant to.

His mouth twitched in amusement. "Something you care to share?"

She waited for him to pull into his parking stall and cut the engine, still preoccupied with her brother's explosive tirade and his vow to bring her fraudulent marriage to a speedy end. Another chill ran up her spine.

"I've already done this once today. It's not fair I have to go through it again."

Evan put his hand over hers and shook it with a gentleness that was meant to offer her courage and solace in the same motion. "This time I'm the one in the hot seat, not you. It'll—"

"I know. It'll be fine."

Without wanting to cause her any additional anxiety over the wait, he exited the car and opened the passenger door for her. She slid out of the vehicle and he was unable to help his quick perusal of her form trapped inside the long, fitted burgundy skirt and matching jacket with flared cuffs. When they reached the elevator he held it open and watched her hips press dangerously against the material while her charmingly curvy waistline begged for his hands to reach for it.

Stop it, you damned fool.

He heeded his conscience's small warning and let the elevator doors shut then pushed the button for the top floor. He noticed, not for the first time, that Kirsten couldn't keep still. She nibbled blindly on her index finger one moment then discarded it in favour of checking on her simple coif and tucking invisible wisps of hair behind her ears.

"I've got an idea," he said, behind an indefinable grin, "why don't we get John to give you a tour of the floors?"

"What? Why? What's wrong?"