3

In the late afternoon, I went to see and hug Quinn. Because he doesn't have the same problems that Chris has with Mom and Dad. He doesn't ask questions like the rest of them. Quinn just accepts that I still mourn for Mom and Dad. He's the best cousin anyone would ask for.

I went into his room. His room was black with two big windows, but with artful red and white splashes in the black. He's an artist but he doesn't let a whole lot of people know. I'm one of the luckiest people on the planet to have him in my life. When he looks up at me he held his arms out while getting up to come to me. To draw me into the room. I let him because I didn't want to have the others see me cry. I only let Quinn or Chris. It's just too humiliating to cry in front of people.

We sat on his bed and he let me cry on him while he made soothing noises for almost an hour. I stopped in enough time that I could wash my face in Quinn's bathroom. At four, I was lying in Quinn's room on his bed with him holding me. I had my eyes closed. When the first of the hunters started to trickle in, we went to let them in. But when about ten of the them were here, Quinn says, "Hey, guys," our siblings were in the living room, right next to the door, "When the door rings, can you take turns letting our friends in and up into Ivy's room."

They nod.

"Thanks."

By five, everyone was there so we moved the meeting to the tree house. Quinn said to the gathered hunters, "You all heard what that drinker said. He's living right next to us, so we need a system. Our family knows all of us. So, I was thinking that we should have a watch. When the two of us are out someone has to stay here to watch our family. How about tomorrow night when we go on patrol Ivory stays here and then the next night I do. After that, we will start to do a rotation for the rest of you. For sure my team..."

I tuned him out when I heard a noise outside the treehouse. I got up and went to the door and opened Nikki and Ryker outside. I glared at them as I say, "You two know better than to be listening into private conversations. Hey, Quinn, I'm going to take Nikki and Ryker to Aunt Cat. I'll be right back."

Then I took the two of them to the dining room, where Aunt Catharyne stays in the afternoon. She's petite with blond hair and violet eyes with stress lines around them. She's sweet as could be and doesn't' punish at all. But Uncle Ian is the opposite with black hair, grass green eyes and tan skin. He's stern but loyal and kind. But he doesn't really care if he punishes people but he's kind and thoughtful about it.

Uncle Ian doesn't usually stay in the dinning room. But tonight, he is. Its unsettling. But they were talking when I went in with Nikki and Ryker.

"Hey, Aunt Cat, Uncle Ian, I'm not interrupting, am I?" When they say no, I continue, "These two were listening through the treehouse door. Can you keep them away from there?"

Aunt Cat says, "Children, you two know that you should not be eavesdropping. I'll make sure that they stay away from there, sweetheart."

"Thank you," I say to her.

I turn to go when they say, "Ivory, we have new neighbors and asked them to come over. They said that they would love to come over. That's okay with you, right?"

I nod because I can't speak before heading back to the treehouse. When Quinn finally, saw me return, he asks, "Ivory, what's wrong?"
I look at my cousin and say, "He's coming here. I don't know when, but I know that he's coming."

He looks murderous, but he says, "Where did you hear this? When?"

He was so scary that I stepped back but said, "Aunt Cat and Uncle Ian told me. When I asked them to keep the rest of our family away from the treehouse."

He saw the retreat and attempted to calm down. But when he spoke again I heard the repressed anger, "We'll just have to do as we normally do and think of a plan. Any questions? No. Okay, you're all dismissed. We'll see you at school."

Then, everyone left, and I was leading them back through the house and let them out. I retreat back to my room to find Quinn sprawled across my bed. Plotting. He looks up and smiles a little before saying, "You should never be afraid of me, Ivory. I would NEVER hurt you. Not of my own free will."

My answer is to just go to him and lay my head on his chest. Sometime after that we fell asleep like this.