The Close Ones

Chappo

"I'm Annie. Nice to meet you." Chris met Annie's shy gaze. Her eyes were as blue as the water he had been diligently watching only seconds earlier. He hoped that he hadn't seemed rude when he hadn't complimented her on her rescue. The truth of the matter was that he had been suitably impressed, but hadn't actually figured out a way to express his admiration without sounding like a total idiot. True to form, he maintained his silence, and after nodding briefly (but not unkindly) at her, he returned his watchful eyes to the beach.

Annie was still in the Tower, talking to the boys who were still on their lunch break. His curiosity occasionally got the better of him, and he wondered what on earth they could be talking about. Every so often, voices drifted up the stairwell.

"Ah yeah, he's a man of few words, Chappo," Deano was proclaiming. 

Chris smiled inwardly. It was true. He didn't say a lot on the job. He preferred to use actions. But the boys understood. They respected him and valued his friendship, knowing that he would do anything to help any of them at the drop of a hat.

"I kind of wish he'd spoken to me," came Annie's voice. He felt his pulse quicken. Maxi laughed.

"Fancy him, do you?" he asked jokingly.

Chris found himself waiting in anticipation for her reply. But before she could say anything, he broke the conversation. "Whippet, Maxi, get down to South now. There's two heads in Backpacker's, and they've not got much fight left in them. Azza and Kobi are already on rescues, they can't get them, run!" 

Maxi and Whippet ran like the wind. On the way down, they grabbed rescue boards from the rack of one of the Rhinos. As they paddled out into the rip, Chris kept his binoculars trained on the two patients. 

"Come on Maxi, Whippet. Paddle boys," he murmured under his breath.

"They'll get there," came a reassuring voice from beside him. He jumped, but still kept his eyes  on the couple in the rip. When had she come back in? He was suddenly very aware of her presence beside him. 

"Yeah. Yeah they will. You're right," he replied, thankful for the reassurance. He suddenly felt quite shy and vulnerable. Stop it, he told himself, she's just like any other girl. But she wasn't, of course.

Maxi and Whippet got there. The two tourists were exhausted, and through the binoculars, Chris could see them limp and drained on the rescue boards. But they were alive, and now they were safe. 

"Great effort boys," he called on the radio, "that was a close one. They were gone for all money. Job well done." He heaved a sigh of relief and put the radio back down. He put his head in his hands. The intense rescues always got to him. Ever since they had lost a swimmer a few years ago. He never wanted to feel like that again.

"You alright?" came the soft voice from beside him. He lifted his eyes to meet hers.

"Yeah. Yeah I am. The close ones...the close ones get to me sometimes." He gave her a small smile. "I'm fine. But thank you for asking." 

She lifted one eyebrow as if she didn't quite believe him, but she dropped it, which he was thankful for. "If you say so," she said, "but if you change your mind and want to talk, I'll be around." 

She stood up and turned to leave. Chris stood up too, and grabbed her arm. 

"Wait, Annie." She turned back to look at him, those blue eyes staring into his. "Thank you. Truly. I hope I do see you around."

She tilted her head to the side, appraising him. He was surprised to find that it didn't make him feel at all uncomfortable. After a few seconds, she nodded and smiled at him, then walked out. 

Chris sat down and took up his vigil of the beach again.

Annie

Chris Chapman was proving to be a conundrum that she couldn't quite figure out. He had been so quiet and reserved, although not impolite. She was confused. Had she done something wrong? But then he had quietly complimented her and thanked her for reaching out. He was a riddle. Well, she thought, lucky I like riddles. Let me figure you out, Chris Chapman

Annie slipped away from the beach inconspicuously. She hadn't wanted to make a fuss out of saying goodbye. She was used to being unnoticed, and she kind of liked it. Time for home, dinner and a shower. 

Well. It hadn't been the worst day in the world. A life saved, surfing, and new friends. The little girl she had rescued had hugged her tight and thanked her. But it hadn't been all good either. She remembered back to when the parents of the child were finally found. Annie had ripped into them.

"How dare you let your child swim alone?! You should be within arm's reach of her all the time! And you shouldn't even have been down the south end of the beach. The red and yellow flags are up north! Your child nearly drowned, and she would have, if I hadn't dragged her on to my board by her hair! Pay more attention to where you swim, and pay more attention to your child!" 

The tirade had been received with meek acceptance from the worried parents, a response which made her feel instantly guilty. But it had been deserved, and Annie certainly wasn't going to take back her words. The lifeguards who had witnessed it watched with dropped jaws and awed expressions. She had made an impression. She was not the type of girl to back down from a challenge, and now everybody knew it.

Annie let the hot water slide gloriously over her body and through her salty hair. It was always a chore trying to get the salt and sand out of her long, thick hair. But it was a sacrifice she was willing to make to keep her hair. It was her one vanity. She liked almost nothing about her appearance; but her hair was her saving grace. Waist length, raven black, and with a permanent beachy wave, her hair was her crowning glory. But it did take an awfully long time to maintain. 

Sliding into bed that night, for the first time in a long time, she didn't have nightmares. She saw a certain pair of deep brown eyes and a shy smile.

She wasn't to know that somewhere, not too far away, a certain man was picturing her blue eyes and that black hair. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Eeeeek guys, here's another chapter done! I know it's moving slowly, but I don't want it to move too fast yet, otherwise it becomes unrealistic. Suggestions are always welcome! 

Xoxo Miss Mermaid