Trouble in Paradise?

Chappo

Chris drove away from Annie's apartment that night in a state of dizzy joy. His head was still spinning. He had finally got up the courage to kiss her...and she had kissed him back. There was still no guarantee that her feelings were mutual; after all, she had just finished divulging her tragic life story. He remembered that suddenly, and he felt guilty for smiling like an idiot. She had lost her entire family. It made sense that she wouldn't want to move too fast. But for now, he was just happy that she had let down her walls.

The next morning he drove into work, heart pounding through his chest. Annie was working today. He really wanted to see her...but at the same time, he didn't. Or at least, not in this environment, surrounded by the boys. He opened the door of the tower and walked in. She was already there. 4 am, still 30 minutes before they had to start putting the flags up, and the team was gathered around chatting, laughing and drinking coffee. 

"Morning, team," announced Chris as he dumped his gear, grabbed his radio and climbed the steps. 

"Hey Chips,"  came a chorus of voices. He took a perch on the bench. 

"What's the plan for today then, Hop? Mouse and I on the flags up north, Deano and Annie on the Rhino down south, and Whip and Maxi at 3rd ramp?"

Everyone stared at him, a little confused. Most of them were certain that he would have volunteered to go with Annie, who also appeared a little unsure of the reason Chris was shunning her company. He cringed inwardly. He just wanted to give her some space...and avoid having to talk about the previous night.

"Well," said Hoppo uncertainly, "I had actually put you and Annie on at 3rd ramp, but if that's not going to work for you-"

"No, that'll be fine mate, honestly," Chris said a little unconvincingly. He looked over at Annie to gauge her reaction. She didn't look happy. 

"Let's go then," she said sharply.

When the two of them had left, the boys passed bewildered looks around.

"Trouble in paradise?" suggested Mouse.

But it wasn't long before they had their suspicions confirmed.

Annie

"Why don't you want to work with me?" she demanded, her eyes flashing fire, her voice full of ice cold fury. "You could have told Hoppo to change it if it's going to be such a chore."

She was hurt. She thought that after last night there was a mutual understanding that there were unresolved intense feelings between them. Apparently she had been wrong.

"Annie, please," said Chris, grasping her hands, "I was just trying to give you some space. I didn't want to rush you."

"That is not your decision to make, Chris." And she jumped in the Rhino passenger seat, waiting for him to get in and drive. She was going to do her  very best to ignore him. For now, at least. She found it very difficult. But she managed until they hit the shore line.

"You know," she said softly, "I'm glad about last night. I don't regret it at all."

She saw a look of relief pass over his face.

"That's what you were worried about? That I kissed you because I was sad? That I only wanted comfort and it didn't really mean anything?"

Chris looked down. "I wasn't sure," he replied. "I just didn't want to force anything if you didn't feel the same."

Annie moved so she was standing in front of him.

"And...how do you feel, Chris?"

He looked into her eyes.  "I think I'm falling for you, Annie," he said softly.

She smiled. "The sunrise...it's beautiful, isn't it?" 

He smiled. "I can't see it."

Their lips met in a gentle kiss, and Annie leaned into his embrace. He made her feel safe and warm. She turned in his arms so her back was leaning on his chest, and his arms were wrapped around her shoulders. 

"Still doesn't beat my view," said Chris jokingly. She slapped his arm playfully, and settled back into his arms, sighing happily when she felt his lips press against her hair.

Up in the tower

"Boys!" Maxi yelled as he peered through binoculars. "Would you get a load of this?" The boys crowded round to take turns with the binoculars. 

"Is that-? Are they-?" Jesse passed the binoculars on, stunned. "Did anyone else not see that coming after this morning?"

"Mate, I'm so confused," laughed Azza. 

"I'm happy for them," said Deano, smiling.

And when Chris and Annie returned to the tower  20 minutes later, they were met with wolf whistles, cheers, hugs...and an abundance of good old-fashioned ribbing. 

Annie grinned and laced her fingers through Chris's. She finally had something to smile about.