Chapter Four

Savannah's POV

Why was she doing this?

Her blonde curls were dimly illuminated by rays of the midnight sun that shone through the rusty metallic bars that kept the harshest sunlight away.

"Rise and shine happy camper!" Yona grinned as an indistinct, crackly Latino song played on her phone.

The chime rang in my ears like the sound of nails screeching on a blackboard.

"What are you doing?" I spoke.

My eyes fluttered as I looked around the room. White-washed walls covered in motivational posters were surrounding all four walls with lush floorboards covered in pink carpet. The spacious cell I was trapped in was decorated the same but seemed more luxurious with a plasma screen TV mounted on the far wall with a mini fridge in the corner with a black and white dining table with a fruit basket on top. A motivational picture reading 'You can do it, if you believe' hung above the queen-size bed I lay on.

"Cup of tea?" Yona whispered as she pulled out a teacup and saucer out of thin air as if by magic.

"Who are you?" I shouted the same phrase I had been repeating almost every day for the past month as I blinked my eyes once again, viciously hoping that this was a dream.

Yona placed the teacup on a tray and opened the little metal box that was built in the middle of the cell. She placed the tea on the tray with her left hand and with her right placed two sugars and a small pot of milk onto the tray.

"Where d...d... did you get that from?" I said as I examined the almost empty room.

"You don't want tea? I can get you coffee if you want... what am I thinking? Coffee. Yes, of course," she said answering her own question.

Yona picked up the tray and walked over to a small countertop that was built into the corner of the room. She picked up the teacup gently and threw it in the bin with some force.

"Oops! Sorry, that must have startled you!" she laughed for a few seconds and then her face turned stern. She then proceeded to tip the rest of the tray in the bin and placed the empty tray on the countertop.

"I'll be back soon with you coffee, don't go anywhere!" she paused for a few seconds and then started giggling.

"You think you're funny?" I said as ran up to the bars and grabbed them ferociously.

I watched as she grabbed her coat from a small, wooden, dusty stool which was underneath the counter and walked towards the exit.

"Wait! Please.. tell me what you want from me" my voice broke as the words left the tip of my tongue.

She paused still facing the exit and sighed.

"All I want is for you to be safe," she turned around slowly to face me.

Although the room was large in size, I still couldn't help feeling claustrophobic.

"Safe? You've trapped me in this cage? How do you ever think I could be safe in here... like this?" a tear rolled down my cheek.

Yona (or whoever the hell she was) looked at me quizzically. A slight twinge of sadness became apparent on her face and there was a brief moment of silence before she walked towards me. She reached my cell and sat on the floor, cross-legged opposite from me.

"Listen to me. Come here," she spoke finally and held out her hand at a distance to me.

I remained standing.

"Come on, I don't want to have to make you sit babe. Take a load off," she said as she twirled a strand of her hair.

I rolled my eyes and grudgingly sat on the floor, hugging my knees.