chapter three

"Sanji?" Luffy's voice called from the deck.

"Yeah?" the blonde responded, busy preparing breakfast for the crew. Luffy climbed down the ladder, and stood in the dining room.

"I'm hungry."

"Yup. Making you food, now," the cook responded.

"Oh. Okay." With that, Luffy climbed the ladder again, back onto the deck. He walked past Zoro, who was trying to nap against the railing, and onto the grass of the Sunny. He slipped his sandals off, and moved them out of the way. He walked to the swing, and sat down, swaying slightly.

His brain was a messy ball of all-over-the-place thoughts, that jumped quickly from one to the next train of insanity. He wished his mind would shut off, but it didn't seem to him like that would happen.

He thought about Ace.  He thought about his face as he fell onto his younger brother. He thought about the amount of blood that was splattered on the ground. He thought about the time he spent crying afterwards. He thought about Sabo, and his "death," and then his reappearance. He thought about all the time he had spent with the both of them. He thought about his childhood, cold and isolated and lonely. He thought about his grandfather, who was so focused on forcing the boys into becoming Marines he forgot sometimes that he was, in fact, a grandfather. He thought about the One Piece, and what he was going to do when he found it. He wondered about how the others would accomplish their dreams, and how long it would take for all of them to be accomplished. He thought about his father, Dragon, who ran the Revolutionary Army. He thought about his mother, wondered where she disappeared to. He thought about Nami, who cried over the thought of his death, and he thought about how everyone was so horrified by the idea of him even attempting suicide that they weren't sure how to help.

"Luffy?" A soft voice called, yanking him from his dark hole of thinking. He looked up at Nami, who stood in front of him. Her hazel eyes were bright, even in the shade of the tree the two were under. Her long copper orange hair was thrown up into a messy bun, to save the back of her neck from the heat of the growing sunny day, and her tank top was knotted, making it hang just above her waist.

"Hey Nami," the boy replied, running his fingers through his messy ink-black hair. Nami sat down cross legged on the grass in front of him, and looked up at him with gentle eyes.

"How're you doing?" Her fingers twisted into the grass, the only evidence of her nerves. He chuckled in response, picking at a loose thread on the end of his shorts.

"Alive, you?" Nami grinned, picking up a ladybug from the grass. She blew on it softly, causing the insect to fly up and into the tree.

"Pretty sure I am, yeah."

"Good."

There was a long moment of silence, broken only by the splashing of the ocean against the Thousand Sunny.

"Luffy?"

"Yeah?"

"You wouldn't... you aren't going to... you know..." Her voice trailed off, as she dropped her eyes to the grass she sat on.

"No. I won't do it again, Nami." Luffy's heart felt heavy in his chest, knowing he had scared her. She nodded, still not looking up. Silence fell again. Luffy couldn't help himself; he began counting the freckles splashed across her face, her shoulders, and her arms.

"Breakfast!" called Sanji from the deck. The two turned their heads in his direction, and Luffy stood. Nami sighed, and took Luffy's hand, which he had offered to help her stand. The two walked in silence into the dining room, and took their seats, located directly across each other.

Sanji had prepared smoked fish, sausage, and a salad for breakfast. Luffy's stomach growled loudly.

"I'm almost out of medicinal herbs," Chopper informed the crew. Zoro nodded.

"I don't need herbs, but I need you to re-stitch my wound," he said, pulling his shirt over his shoulder, revealing a bandage, with a red circle in the middle. The reindeer sighed.

"Every time," he mumbled.

"I need more metal and wood," Usopp told Nami, who shrugged.

"There's an island ahead of us, approximately four hours away, and we should be able to stop and restock our supplies," Nami announced, as she stabbed her fish with her fork.

"Good, because I need more salt. I ran out on yours and Robin-Chan's fish," Sanji added, smiling.

"Do you think I could stop at a bookstore, Nami?" Robin asked, turning to the navigator. The girl nodded at her friend, making mental calculations of the cost of everything that was needed.

"Do you need anything, Luffy?" The boy shook his head, shoveling food into his mouth. He finished his plate, and got up to place the dish in the sink. He left the room, and went to sit atop his Lion head.