chapter ten

Luffy couldn't tell if his eyes were closed or if they were open and the room was completely dark. He couldn't move. His mind was screaming for him to move, move, but he had no control over himself. Was he dead? Was he even breathing?

He heard voices to his left. So good news, he wasn't dead. A loud ba-thump ba-thump rang in his ears, his heart, perhaps?

"Is he dead?" a voice that sounded like it was underwater, asked. Did someone just touch his chest, or was that his imagination?

"No, still breathing." So someone did touch him. Luffy was slowly becoming more aware of his body, of the world around him, but he still could not move. He felt... grass, beneath his body, and cold wind blew against his face, but nowhere else, so it was probably not wind. It smelled vaguely... minty.

"Wake up, bastard." There was the mint smell again, accompanying the rough voice directly in his ear. He wanted to wake up, but Luffy still was unable to move. Suddenly, Luffy felt his hand twitch. Then a toe.

A wave of pain racked his body, causing Luffy to cry out. Lovely. He could feel again. His eyes shot open, and scanned wherever the hell he was.

A large group of men stood in a circle around him, each holding weapons of various sizes and functions.

"Great," Luffy mumbled hoarsely. Someone snorted.

"Rise and shine, sleepy head," a large man snarled menacingly. Luffy huffed painfully, trying to sit up. His head felt incredibly heavy, and dizzy. Something wet dripped down his neck, and he reached to touch it. When he retracted his hand, dark red blood painted the tips of his fingers. He groaned.

"Monkey D. Luffy," the underwater voice said. Luffy turned, and visibly paled.

Bluejam stood with a smirk and his arms crossed over his chest.

He looked older, his dark hair turning silver. His face and body were covered in scars, probably burns from the fire his crew had started. His left eye was now pale, he must have gone blind in that one. He still looked menacing.

Luffy was at a loss for words, and it must have shown.

"Surprised to see me, brat?" Flashbacks of the fire danced behind Luffy's eyes. Flashbacks of Sabo, agreeing to leave if it meant he could protect him and Ace.

"I... I thought... I thought you... you died?" Bluejam laughed, short and sharp. Like the dagger he now held in his hand.

"Well, I thought you had died, especially after that whole ordeal with Ace." He had snarled the name, slowly, as if he were twisting a knife in someone's back. It certainly hit Luffy harder than any weapon. The young boy cringed. "I had to kill my subordinate, Porchemy because of you. Because he couldn't kill you or your annoying brothers. But I know what he did to you," he growled lowly, getting closer to the younger pirate captain, that was now, much to his own disliking, quivering. "I know the... alternative tactics he used on you."

"G-Get away from me..." Luffy mumbled. He wanted to be strong, to be fearless, but he was still traumatized from the events of that god-forsaken evening, where Porchemy had tortured him, and was within an inch of murdering the young child.

"And why would I want to do that?" the evil man laughed, pushing the sharp blade against Luffy's throat, lifting his chin. Tears welled in the boy's eyes. He wanted them to disappear, for himself to get a grip, but a rush of memories attacked the his mind. Luffy's mouth opened and closed, trying to say something, but no words came out. The man laughed his dagger laugh again.

"What should we do with him, boss?" the large man asked Bluejam.

"Can we kill him?" another member asked. His voice reminded Luffy of a squeaky wheel. Bluejam shook his head, smirking.

"Chain him, and bring him to the ship." Bluejam stood and walked. Over his shoulder, he added, "We're gonna have some fun."

His dark laugh carried through Luffy's mind, echoing like the memories of his childhood.