chapter thirteen

Sabo had arrived promptly at sunrise, which surprised the Straw Hats, because he had claimed he would arrive a day later.

"I hurried," he replied, waving his hand, when Nami had voiced this. Zoro briskly updated Sabo on the situation, and the group began formulating a plan.

"We should ask the villagers around the clearing and the beach if they saw anything," the long-nosed man suggested. Sabo nodded, scratching his chin. His eyes slid over to the orange haired girl, who was clutching Luffy's hat protectively on her head, giving Sabo looks he could only describe as furtive.

"I'm not gonna take his hat from you, I swear," he assured her, smiling slightly. Her shoulders relaxed a small amount, but she still held the hat as if she was scared letting it go would mean giving up on her captain.

"I'm Nami," she mumbled, realizing that they had not yet had a proper introduction. Sabo tilted his head, wondering where he had heard that name before. Suddenly, it clicked.

"Oh! Luffy talks about you alot in his letters to me! Nice to meet you," he said, sticking his hand out for her to shake. Tentative, she took it, and reflected upon what the blond had said.

"I'm Sanji," the other blond man greeted, offering his hand as well. Soon, all of the Straw Hats, save for Robin, were introduced, and acquainted with Luffy's other brother. The meeting was bittersweet, because of the circumstances, but also short, for priorities were in order.

The group dispersed among the designated area of searching and questioning, and went from hut to hut, speaking with each individual about the sudden disappearance. Silently, Nami thanked whoever was watching over them that this was a small island, because as they were going to give up, the group questioned an old man living on the outskirts of the forest, near the beach.

Sabo knocked on the door, uncomfortably shifting from foot to foot. He checked over his shoulder at the group of pirates behind him, urging him on. He knocked again, and an old man with a braided grey beard that brushed against the floor, and wiry white hair reaching down past his knees answered.

"May I help you?" his old voice creaked. Sabo cleared his throat.

"Excuse me for bothering you sir," he began politely, "but did you happen to see anything of... interest, last night?" The wrinkled man raised an unruly eyebrow.

"What requirements make something... interesting?" he asked, scratching his chin. Sabo nervously shifted his footing again.

"Well, my little brother was, well... kidnapped, last night, and we're pretty sure a group of pirates dragged him to the beach and to their ship," the younger man explained, fixing his hat on his head. The old guy nodded, peering past Sabo at the odd group gathered.

"You're with the Straw Hats, yes?" the old man asked. Sabo, once again, nervously cleared his throat.

"Well, you see–"

"Answer the question."