5

"It's not just for me now Irse. Think about it, Rose's situation could actually help convince Hecate, it could be like my chance to do good and convince them I'm putting my trouble-maker phase behind me. 

There are so many injustices in this world, I saw on that television box thing you told me about. Wars, corruption, poverty, injustices....really, it's an even bigger mess than our Seoul under the Gods' rule when you look around you. Some places are filthy and nobody cares. And I've seen the beggars next to us while busking..."

He paused. "Rosé even tried sharing her food with this one blind man this one time, although I'm sure he was a con."

"You'd know a thing or two about cons," Irse nodded shrewdly.

"Yeah," he replied, his voice distant, "I would..."

"So what, you think Her Witchiness is gonna turn soft just for your nightingale?"Irse said, tactfully changing the topic, "Her Lugubriousness is stone-hearted, you know that better than I do, or you wouldn't be stuck here right now."

"Ah come on Irse, she was good to me, if  rather close-minded when it came to my experiments," Jeongguk reasoned. "If I ask to have magic here for Rosé's situation to improve, I'm sure she'd listen. And that's our ticket to going back" he grinned. "Think about it. Hecate says the Gods have no jurisdiction in worlds where people think Olympus is only a myth. But she was still able to dump me here! So, there must be some way to communicate with her..."

"And beg for her to bring magic into this place just so we'd hop back to the other Seoul?" Irse scratched her chin doubtfully. "Jeongguk, I'm not liking the odds—"

"Oh I'm sure the odds will turn in our favour," Jeongguk said airily, "Rosé is unlike any girl. She's really nice, really humble and deserves so much better. The Gods may be egotistical, but they serve justice. If I convince them well enough, Rosé will have her dream come true and she doesn't have to go busking or listen to her stuffy mother and be unhappy—she can perform on the big stages with her favourite stars! And me, I'll get my magic back."

"Hmmm... if magic is introduced in a place where it hasn't been there before, even if for a short time, it could be chaotic—"

"Exactly!"he said enthusiastically, "You love chaotic! Everybody wins."

"Wait I'm confused so do you want to help this Rosé girl or not?"

"Oh Irse Irse, try to keep up," Jeongguk teased. "Rosé is my gambit. My ultimate goal is helping myself, obviously. You didn't seriously think I'd waste my energy trying to help a girl I only met a few days ago? You're losing your touch."

"You cunning boy," Irse grinned, "I really thought this world turned you soft."

He laughed. "So, do you think we could have a shot at it? I'll get cracking on finding a suitable point for ringing up Hecate immediately."

"Possibly....but I suppose I'll have to think of Plan B to get you out of here?"

"As always, my dear commander-in-chief." Jeongguk chuckled and Irse sighed.

"You're lucky you're cute, but don't push it." And she disappeared from the meadow in a puff of smoke.

>

"Rosé?" he asked as she was boiling pasta.

"Yeah?" she answered shortly. She had come back after a long day at school and then a shift at the cafe so she hadn't been in a talkative mood and Jeongguk gave her space.

"Do you believe in magic?"

Startled, she turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow. "Where did that come from?"