Chapter 9 - Deep Sea

"You  are going to teach me how to surf?" I questioned skeptically, raising an eyebrow at him and watching carefully as he entered the tiny hut.

"Absolutely," he called out from inside.

Only a couple of minutes later, he walked back outside with two large surf boards in tow, "I'm the Alpha of this pack – the strongest, most powerful, and the best at surfing. It all comes with the title."

I rolled my eyes at his little joke and began to walk towards him to take my surf board. As I approached, I realized it didn't really matter which one I used. They were both the same size, shape, and color – equals.

"The key to surfing is all about your mindset," he started to explain as he handed the surf board to me. I quickly took it and suppressed the urge to roll my eyes at him again. "You really have to clear your mind. You have to feel the water and flow with it. You really have to be one with the water."

This time, I stared blankly at him. What kind of hippie bullshit was this?!

Ryder chuckled a bit and scratched his head, clearly sensing my annoyance, "I know I sound ridiculous to you, and I can promise I'm not normally as cheesy sounding, but it's true. That's how things work around here. That's how we maintain happiness and prosperity within the pack and our individual lives. We praise the Moon Goddess, and we respect nature and everything she provides us. It keeps everything in balance."

This was exactly why I never wanted this fool to find out I was his mate. This is what I'd been dreading for three years.

I scoffed, "So how'd you piss her off?"

Ryder raised an eyebrow in question, "What?"

"The Moon Goddess. You said you praise her, follow her, and respect nature and everything is all good and happy and perfect around here. But she mated you to me – your complete opposite. Someone who doesn't give two fucks about the Moon Goddess, or nature, or anything that you value," I explained rather bluntly, coming off much more harsh than I'd anticipated.

Ryder stared at me in shock for a moment before composing himself, "As far as I know, I haven't done anything to piss her off. Although you may see our mate bond as a tragedy or punishment, I know good and well that the Moon Goddess has a reason for everything she does and every pairing she makes. We could be each other's greatest strength and source of joy if you'd give it a chance instead of constantly insisting that it's all a mistake."

His words were sharp and serious. I'd crossed a line with him, yet again, and provoked anger. I had to admit, it was almost a bit sexy to see even an ounce of anger inside him – especially after that whole 'be one with the water' bullshit he'd just pulled.

"So, are you going to teach me how to surf, or not?" I finally replied, attempting to disregard everything he'd just said.

What was I supposed to say to that, anyways?

Ryder stared back at me for a moment, which felt like forever, as he contemplated whether or not he could shake off everything that'd just been said. Ultimately, his peaceful nature won, and he nodded.

"Only if you can keep up," he remarked, heading for the water.

I rolled my eyes again, although he couldn't see me, and pulled my sundress over my head, tossing it onto the sand before readjusting the surf board under my arm and following him into the water. The ocean waves felt a bit chilly against my warm skin, but it was also refreshing and a bit of a relief after being in the scorching hot sun and walking through that damned sand that seemed to hold every ounce of heat the sun gave it.