Chapter 11 - Moon Goddess

Several days passed in that damned bed.

Although the nurses eventually left and monitored me only a couple times a day as promised, I was still on several medications and ordered to 'rest.'

I was tired of resting.

I basically moved back and forth from the bed to the couch, flipped through some magazines, took a few hot baths, and binge watched several cheesy TV shows. Ryder's mother, Mira, popped in several times to check on me and bring me freshly cooked meals, which I did appreciate. If it wasn't her, it was Ryder's little assistant bringing me my food and medications.

His sister still hadn't shown her face, although I didn't blame her.

All of this time cooped up in our personal quarters, however, did make me realize how lonely I was here. I hadn't made any real connections yet. I'd likely ruined any chances of a relationship with Noelle, Mira probably only visited me because she felt obligated, so the only real connection I'd made was with Jake, but that was a recipe for disaster. Ryder would never allow the Luna ceremony to happen if I continued to hang out with Jake. It'd look bad – the pack's Luna to-be spending so much time with another male.

I needed to shape up, even if only for show. Luckily, I hadn't caused much damage with the actual pack yet. If anything, they were likely all worried and upset about my little accident.

Now was the perfect time to try and gain their favor.

"Ryder," I spoke, looking up from my spot on the couch and over to where Ryder was seated at the dining room table with his laptop and a stack of papers. He'd been working from home fairly often, likely to both make sure I was okay, and to keep me company.

"Yes?" he asked, turning to look in my direction with a hopeful look on his face.

"I think I'm ready for my first pack event. I know you introduced me during the pack breakfast, but I mean a real pack event where I can be involved and the pack members can really experience being around me," I explained.

Ryder stared at me for a moment, thinking over my words, before chuckling, "That lack of oxygen really did affect your brain, didn't it?"

I frowned, although I understood perfectly well why he'd make such a comment. To his ears, he thinks I'm wanting to get to know the pack and really be involved with them. Really, I just want to be around them enough to help progress the Luna ceremony, but Ryder can't know that. So, if he wants to believe I'm trying to be nice, I'll let him...for now.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he started again, getting the rest of the chuckling out of his system. "Of course, I think that'd be a great idea. Tonight is our weekly pack ceremony with the Moon Goddess – it's a big part of pack life here, so I'm sure it'd mean a lot to everyone to have you attend. Many have been worried about you and expressed their condolences."

I smiled ever so slightly – so far so good.

"Perfect," I clasped my hands together. "I'll go start getting ready."

"It's a semi-formal event," Ryder added as I began walking out of the living room. "Do you need any help?"

I rolled my eyes before turning around to face him again, "I'm fine. It's been nearly a week."

Ryder simply nodded before returning to his work. I'd noticed that he had gradually been restraining himself from the role of the concerned, protective mate. He had learned quickly that I would continue to resist it, and part of me felt badly about it, but that's just how things had to be.

I then returned to our bedroom and showered before tending to my hair and makeup. I actually hadn't worn makeup at all since my accident – what was the point? All I was permitted to do was sit around our quarters for days. I was almost certain my leg muscles had begun to deteriorate – I'd need to get back in the gym for training ASAP.