Chapter 8

Declaration and Reflection

"The young lady has returned!!"

An announcement that seized everyone's attention, who were on edge and holding onto the thinnest straw of their patience and sanity, all rose from each of their places and rushed outside.

There, they finally laid eyes on the worn down figure of their princess who slept while being carried in the arms of the Marcatto's heir.

Archard carefully set her down as Adira's mother gingerly accepted her sleeping child into her arms and softly caressed the lady's head. Oh how her heart broke seeing her only daughter in a state such as this.

"What... Wha—" "WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?!" drowning the trembling voice of a worried mother, Phillipe's uncharacteristic bellow slipped out. He always loses all restraints when it concerned Adira.

Archard, throwing a glare at his way—because how dare he raise his voice and risk disturbing his princess' rest?— before turning to bow in respect to his in-laws and proceeded to apologize for his incompetence.

"I am terribly sorry. I got there a little too late and they had already done so much to her. I do not know who orchestrated this but I, sure as hell, am gonna find them and uproot them all at once and present them to you."

As Archard spoke the words, an undeniable bloodlust coated his being— like a demon spawn from hell—and they knew he meant every word he said. But even though Archard said all that, of course, they weren't gonna leave it all up to him.

No one touches Adira and lives.

"You should go and rest, Archard. I'll ask someone to prepare the room opposite to Adira's. That way, you'll also be able to protect her if something comes up." were the words Frank left before he gestured for someone to abide his orders and turned to his resting princess and his worried wife.

No one touches my family and lives.

At that moment, although it was brief, Archard wondered if the chilling viciousness that flashed through the patriarch's visage was real. He really does remind him of his father. Sometimes.

He watched as the patriarch took Adira upstairs with his wife which left him with Phil after all the others dispersed to return to each of their posts after confirming the wellbeing of their lady. They were loyal like that.

Phillipe attached a nasty glare to Archard's unmoving figure as all sorts of questions ran through his mind in a millisecond marathon. But what he wanted to know most of all was...

"How did you know where she was?"

He had to ask that. It was a given for Adira's bodyguards, parents and him to always know her location, especially when she turns on her distress signal, but not him. Not this outsider.

"I just followed the red thread." Archard replied with a smirk as he refused to divulge anything to Phil, before turning to retire to the temporary room the Costellos prepared for him.

"Why are you approaching Adira like this? Who are you? What do you want from this family?"

"Nothing. I only want her." Archard pointed to where Adira and her family just disappeared to, emphasizing his answer to Phil's question as possessively as he could.

He didn't know which boundary Phil was standing at. Was he at the side where he regards Adira as his precious sister? Or was Adira a completely different existence to that? But no matter what, he doesn't plan to ever give Adira up. She was his'.

Phil clenched his fists at Archard's declaration as he watched the latter's retreating figure. He felt very upset, aggitated and angry. Not only because he didn't like Archard at all, but because he wasn't the one who reached Adira first. It had to be him.

He felt disappointed with himself for not noticing Adira's distress call. He was angry for not being able to be there when Adira needed him the most. He was upset he couldn't protect his most precious Adira.

Phil wandered around aimlessly, trying to reflect on himself for his incompetence and uselessness, when his feet took him to Adira's garden, which was built just outside her room. His head whipped towards Adira's room when he heard the rattle of the sliding doors opening.

"What're you doing there, Phil?"

"Si-Sir Frank!" He exclaimed when what poked out from the room wasn't Adira but the patriarch, and he took a knee in respect immediately after recognizing the person. "I.. I was just wandering around. I didn't notice I ended up here."

"Mm. You must be worried about Adira." Frank mused and closed the sliding door behind him as he approached the kneeling man. "You've always been so close to her. But don't worry, aside from bruises, she's generally fine."

Phil heaved a heavy sigh of relief. That was definitely a load off his chest. Now, he only needs to do something to make up for his inadequacy. Because he left Adira alone and didn't accompany her when he should've, Adira got into this mess. It was his fault.

"Don't blame yourself too much, Phil. What happened was out of your hands. I could tell as much that Adira must've told you not to accompany her for you to leave her on her own. You always listened to her selfishness and spoiled her too much." Frank, noticing and knowing Phillipe's character so well, spoke as he tapped him on his shoulder to somehow reassure him.

Phil cast his eyes down. Maybe out of guilt or shame. He could see the unblemished trust in the patriarch's eyes that he would always keep Adira safe.. but he failed him. He failed her.

"But Phil, it's okay not to give in to Adira's demands, okay? Especially when it concerns her safety. It's alright not to listen to her selfish requests. I'd rather you look out for each other as you did all these years." Frank added and gave Phil a kind smile. He always saw Phil as his own child. And although he wasn't exactly the big brother type to Adira, he was most certainly as hell reliable when needed.

Frank knew he could count on Phillipe to keep Adira out of harm's way. It had always been like that. But now, Archard Marcatto's here. Phil should be able to breathe for a little bit, right?

Right?