Chapter 4

After changing my clothes, I put on shorts that buttoned at my waist and cinched my curves. My top was sleeveless and tied below my breasts to show my skin. My shoes were sandals that would be comfortable in the hot weather. The nail polish on my toes and nails were a deep red that complimented my rich skin tone.

I frowned in the standing mirror placed in the corner of my villa bedroom, my hair that Miss C.J. Walker provided now looked like a stringy mess. With my wooden brush I slicked it back into a ponytail and hoped for the best.

I looked to the bathroom, where I left the doorway open. He kept his side closed, who knew exactly what was running through his mind at that moment. My feet almost uncontrollably brought me to stand by the bathroom, almost as if that'd make him open that door.

Of course, the door never opened, so I took it upon myself to meet my family downstairs. In the living room of the villa, louvre doors that led to the pool outside also let the sunshine in through their slits. Large wicker fans slowly spun on the high ceilings to cool down my family whose moods were excited and curious.

"What took you so long?" My father asked as they all sat around the couches. "I wanted to go and see your aunt from Kingston."

"Kingston? Why would you want to drive all the way to Kingston?" I stared with wide eyes.

"We aren't going to Kingston, she happens to have a house in MoBay so we'll be visiting her that way." My father answered. I was thoroughly annoyed to have to face my family. "Besides Donna, Kingston isn't that far of a drive."

"Isn't that far of a drive? It takes days! You act like there's a highway!" I rose my voice, earning a scowl from my mother. With a huff, I sat down next to Jimmy who held a comic magazine in hand.

My heart skipped a beat once Robert decided to join us. He was in his clothes from before, his hair was suddenly styled once again. It was as if our little frisk upstairs hadn't happened.

"Hey, family." Robert smiled as he took a seat next to my mother. His handsome smile spread across his face. "What are we doing?"

"They're making us go and see my aunt." I said in a complaining tone.

"We're heading to see my sister Trixie." My father told Robert in a much calmer voice. "Hey, why would you head over with us?"

"What?" I asked. While I was totally infatuated with Robert, the idea of him mingling with the rest of my family was detrimental to me. They were embarrassing and out of touch, I didn't want him seeing that side of us.

"That's a wonderful idea!" My mother agreed, totally disregarding my comment. Jimmy was now glimpsing over at me, hiding his snickering mouth with his comic book. I quickly slapped his arm then stood up from the couch.

"Then I'll stay here. Where I can take a dip in the ocean." I told my family. My parents looked confused at my sudden need to contradict the family plans. In the past, I hadn't made such a stand to avoid seeing my kin.

"You're coming with us and that's that." My father pointed at me as if I was a child. In embarrassment, I looked to Robert, whose expression showed pity toward me.

Within a half an hour, we were all once again packed in the car. This time my father drove, my mother was next to him and my brother was in the third seat in the front.

Robert and I had the back seat all to ourselves, and this time when I played my foot game he reciprocated. At one point he slyly placed his hand on my bare thigh, causing my breath to hitch. Casually, he spoke to the people in front as his hand slowly slid up my leg to my shorts.

He was so close to getting to the place where I wanted him most. I pushed my hips forward as I looked down at his hand, but to my disappointment we arrived at our destination.

Outside of the small house was my Aunt Trixie, next to her my 20 year old cousin Janine and beside her my 19 year old cousin Joy. They all wore their church clothes, white gloves and all. Auntie and her girls were very stylish, getting their inspiration from the bustling city of Kingston where foreign connections thrives.

We all piled out of the car and the ladies rushed toward us.

"Mr. Redford, I've seen you in the cinema and must I say, you were charming as ever!" My aunt smiled as she embraced Robert. Joy seemed a little shy toward him, she avoided hugging Robert and stuck with an awkward wave.

Janine, however, gave Robert a thorough and tender hug. She seemed to be into Robert, which wasn't surprising. Who wasn't into Robert?

"Cousin, I cannot believe it took you so long to come back here. Come on, we need to catch up!" Joy smiled as she pulled me away. We sat at an outside bench next to the house chatting on how America is and what's new in Jamaica and debated on where boys were better.

"I mean, in America you have Robert so that must be a plus." Joy smiled excitedly at me. I wasn't listening to a word she was saying, all I could notice was Robert taking a leisurely stroll with Janine.

She was a beautiful girl, it wouldn't be a surprise if Robert had feelings for her. She wanted to study overseas after secondary school but those plans fell out. Now, she worked as a teacher in the local Catholic school and is well known in the community for being compassionate.

Was she bragging about all of this? I couldn't help but wonder. It was so obvious that she was interested in him. Janine was very much a lady, she allowed for him to make the first move. Joy didn't even notice that as she spoke all I could think about was Robert's conversation with Joy.

Where did they head to as they walked away from the rest of us? What were they doing? Was he going to keep in touch with her? These were all things that sparked a mixture of jealousy and fear within me.