Chapter 9

Sleep and I were strangers that night.

I toss and turned in my bed endlessly. It was almost as if I could feel my skin crawling. Robert was like a drug that kept me wired for hours. My eyes glanced up at the ceiling as the moonlight spilled in through the blinds. Every memory of Robert further sunk me into a trance that I couldn't be taken out of. Lifting the bedsheet, I slowly slithered out of bed. My feet hit splat against the the mahogany floor as I neared the bathroom.

Slowly, I shut the door without a sound.

By memory, I navigated the dark room. Kneeling down in front of my suitcase, I picked out clothing to wear. I didn't know where I was going, nor did I know how I'd get there. All I knew is that I was aching to get out of the house.

My hands gripped onto either side of my dress as I adjusted my sheath dress. My fingers untied the sheer scarf around my head and plucked at the pins holding my curls. I glimpsed over to the bathroom where I could see his door. It was shut.

Coming into the hallway, I was sure to hold my high heels in my hand to avoid making noise as I walked across the villa. In the foyer I slowly slipped on my heels, then opened the door to leave.

"Where are you going?" A tall man asked. Shivers ran through my body. I didn't want to get caught.

I glimpsed over my shoulder. "Out."

The 24/7 chauffeur laid asleep in the car. I tapped on the window, he jolted awake as if electrified. His eyes stared at me as I bent over his window like a hooker offering a service. "Where's the nearest discotheque?"

I was driven to a small bar that had the most breath taking view of the island. Next to it was a large sign advertising Amber Stripe Rum. Everyone moved and shook in the center of the room. The lighting wasn't all that great, there were no beaming and flashing lights. However there was a disco ball that shined specs of light across the room.

As I sat at the bar, I got many stares from both local and foreign men alike. After a few beers, I felt great. Immediately I headed out on the dance floor to dance to the hits they were playing. It was the same music you'd hear in America, they were my favorite songs at the time.

I swayed and danced in my small skirt, enjoying being young and free in a foreign country. Another foreigner tapped on my shoulder.

"I have to talk to you, beautiful." He shouted into my ear. My heart fluttered. He wanted to talk to me? I followed him into a secluded corridor of the club. No one was around at all.

He leaned with his back against the wall, then pulled me in for a rough kiss. I was shocked, but allowed it to happen. Then, he looked into my eyes, noticing how nervous I was.

"Hey, you seem to have some nerves. Do you party?" He asked.

"Yeah, I party! I was just dancing out there... having a groovy time." I nodded with a smile. He rose a brow, shaking his head slowly. "That's not what you meant, isn't it?"

"I meant do you party." He shouted. The he reached into his pocket, picking out a small cylinder filled with a white powder. "One sniff of this and you'll be smooth sailing."

"I don't do drugs." I stepped back.

"Come on sweetie, I thought we were having a good time." The boy shrugged, stepping closer to me. I stepped back again, and my back hit the wall. He wouldn't stop coming near me. I tried to run down the hall, but he grabbed me arm and pulled me back to him. "I tried to have you relax, but you don't want to! Don't be such a tease!"

I screamed in horror, then suddenly the boy was off of me. Removing my hands from my face, I saw that someone was fighting with the stranger. Finally, they finished fighting and my hero turned toward me.

It was Robert.

"Come on, you're going home." Robert grabbed my arm and began pulling me toward the exit.

"How'd you know where I was?" I asked as he tugged me out of the nightclub. Once outside under the night sky, we stood in front of the entrance. The only light was a wall sconce on the outside of the building, it was surrounded by mosquitos.

"I heard you get up and I had to check on you. I had to know you were okay. One of the other chauffeurs figured you'd be here." Robert stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Well I'm fine." I groaned, walking toward the door. He grabbed my arm again, his fingers tightly around it. As I looked into his blue eyes, they were firm. But as I stared into them they began to soft.

Suddenly his hand spanned the length of my jaw, tilting my head back slowly. Then he connected his lips with mine. I smiled against his lips as we kissed, then he took my hand and began leading me to the car.

"Shouldn't we take the family chauffeur?" I asked as I pointed in the opposite direction.

"I already sent him home." He told me and continued walking me to the car.

"I guess it doesn't matter which car we take." I mentioned, then he opened the car door for me.

"Who says we're going home at all?" He winked.