One-shot

Wednesday: 15:45...

Jisoo looked up towards the clock. Dark brown eyes stayed focused, almost willing it to move. But it was stubborn and she had to internally pull herself towards herself or else she was going to release the biggest sigh ever.

"So I told him to just fuck off you know, because I'm nobody's side dish. And he actually let me go! I was like what in the actuality of fuck? You're not even going to fight for..."

Looking off to her left, Jisoo tried not to strain her eyes. This girl didn't sound like she was having a breakdown. It was more like she just wanted someone to listen to her story. Her absolutely ridiculous story...

"And this is what caused you to break the window?"

She almost winced at the monotone tinge in her voice. Rail it back, she told herself. They needed to feel like she cared. Her jaw clicked and it brought her out of the daze.

"Yes, that's what I said before?

Jisoo tried not to swear under her breath as she adjusted the earpiece. The voice was a little distorted and she knew she needed to calm this woman down since anything could tick her off.

"Yes, you did say that. I just wanted to check. How are you feeling now though?"

The woman continued to rant and Jisoo's eyes stayed glued to the clock. She added a few uhms and aahs. And when the woman finally let her speak she gave her some advice.

"Lori, you need to just take some time for yourself. Jumping from one unstable relationship to another is not helping you're mental health. Go take out your journal, write everything down, transfer and then really sit and think about how you could improve your actions for the future," she waited as a small mmm came through.

"Thank you Jisoo, you always know what to say," said the now suddenly weaker voice.

"It's a pleasure, call again ok?"

"Will do," said Lori and Jisoo let the line go. She jumped up from her station and hurriedly packed up her things. Glancing at the clock, she knew she still had more than enough time but didn't want to leave it to chance. Irene gave her a wave from her station while Jennie held up her thumbs to her for good luck. She smiled back gratefully, knowing she'd need it.

Three Days Earlier...

Making sure the earpiece was set, she looked up at the time and waited. Thankfully Jennie was willing to take all the other calls directed towards her while she spoke with the woman she'd slowly fallen in love with. Well it started with her voice but then as her calls became more frequent; it genuinely felt like they had known each other forever.

Moreover she got Jisoo to do what no hotline counsellor is meant to do. She had asked a personal question and Jisoo answered back. What had surprised her is how effortless it was. There was no hesitation in her willingness to let her know what she wanted to know. And Jisoo had really liked that.

Her station buzzed and she knew that it was her. She'd changed her caller id number once she realized their calls would be more consistent. Again that was another thing she hadn't done for any of her other "regulars". She just knew who they were based on their voices. But she, she got a full on number.

"Hello Lisa? How are you?"

"Oh h..hi Jisoo uhm I'm surprisingly okay today," said a soft voice.

"Surprisingly? It makes me feel good to hear that you're happy. What happened?"

"I don't know. I just woke and was grateful for like being alive," she chuckled.