Chapter Three.

Ty parked his bike on the street and stared at the tiny white house, it was small for sure and rundown looking. A white picket fence ran around the yard and was collapsing in places, the porch looked rickety and unsafe, the roof needed some new shingles in spots and the black shudders were crooked and falling off. The white paint looked old and was chipping in most spots, it was a pitiful place for a woman with children to live.

He swung off his bike, glancing around the other houses on the street didn't look to be in as bad of shape as this one but he knew it was the right place, two tiny pink bikes lay in the yard.

He walked up the uneven, cracked sidewalk and carefully stepped onto the porch, it groaned and snapped under his weight and he could feel the boards shifting as he knocked.

He carefully knocked on the door and a second later it swung open, two pairs of blue eyes stared up at him.

"Hello, is your mommy here?" He asked.

"Mommy!" One of the small girls wailed.

"I'm coming," Their mother called back.

Both children swiveled their attention back to him, staring up with wide eyes. They were so tiny, he wondered how old they were, were they supposed to be that small?

A second later Lizzie emerged from what he assumed was the kitchen, she was wearing ripped blue jeans and a flannel top, her hair was in a messy bun on top of her head.

"Sorry, they're not allowed to let strangers in." She apologized.

"That's a good policy."

"Come in," She gently pulled both the children aside who were still staring at him.

He stepped into the house and saw the inside, while cozy wasn't much better looking. The walls were white but clean, the carpet looked old and was threadbare in spots, the television was small but obviously functional since SpongeBob was on. There were toys scattered around and pictures the girls had drawn hung all over.

"Oh, I'm sorry where are my manners? these are my daughter this is Julie and Janie." She introduced.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you both." He offered his hand and both girls shrank closer to their mom.

"They're just a little bit shy," she said.

He gave a small nod but didn't comment. He suspected it was something a little more than shy but wasn't going to point it out. It wasn't his business.

"Dinner isn't quite finished, can I get you a drink?" She offered.

"Sure."

She turned and he followed her through the tiny living room into an even tinier kitchen, dated linoleum floors, and ancient looking appliances were cramped in a room so small it was barely big enough for the two of them.

"What can I get you?" She asked, turning to the fridge.

"A beer would be nice."

"Oh...uh...I'm afraid I only have apple juice, water or milk," she said turning to him her face flushed.

"Water is fine," He assured her.

He glanced into the open fridge and saw how bare it was, barely anything was inside and he wondered if she could afford another mouth to feed tonight.

"I really don't mean to put you out," He offered.

"Oh, no...it's no trouble. You were so nice to offer to help and I'm afraid I was a little rude."

She turned and handed him a barney glass with his water in it and he smiled taking it from her.

"Thanks."

"No problem, can I get you anything else?"

"No."

She turned back to the stove and he glanced around the cramped kitchen, he didn't see any signs of a man in her life in the house, just her and the two girls. He wondered where their father was, what kind of man allowed his children to live in such poor conditions?

"I'm sorry the place is such a mess, I just really don't have the time or money to make all the repairs at once," She said.

"No, I...think it's a fine home." He lied.

"You're a bad liar," She pointed out as she carried what looked like a casserole to the table.

"If you don't mind my asking, where is their father? why isn't he helping you?"

"Oh...uhm...he's...not in the picture and I don't want him to be."

He took the hint and let the subject drop, she moved back and forth between the stove and the table until everything was perfect then called to her children who rushed in to join them.

Ty watched the small girls warily, he wasn't used to being around children. Of course, the head of the MC had a little girl named Iris that everyone loved but Ty didn't spend nearly as much time with her as his brother Zeke did.

If she noticed how nervous and uncomfortable he was she didn't point it out as she served her two children and then piled his plate with food as well, taking a noticeably smaller portion for herself.

"I really do appreciate you having me over," He said.

"Don't mention it."

She smiled at him then turned back to her kids, fussing over their drinks and their plates.

Something tugged inside his chest, whatever the reason she was obviously struggling to keep her head above water with her two kids and nobody deserved to go through that.

"So, how long are you planning to be in town?" She asked turning towards him.

"Not long, I'm going to leave tonight actually."

"Just passing through?" She guessed.

"Yeah, something like that."

They ate mostly in silence except for her kids who chattered on about the newest toys they wanted for their upcoming birthday, she smiled warmly at them but Ty knew she couldn't afford to buy them.

When dinner was over she cleaned up the table and then excused herself to put her children to bed, Ty sat on the couch.

A part of him was ready to get the hell out of that town but another part almost felt guilty when he knew the situation she lived in.

She came into the living room sitting next to him on the old couch.

"So, your brother is the sheriff?" He asked.

"Yeah, he just got promoted to the sheriff about two years ago it's a small town, not much to really deal with."

"Just damsels in their broken down cars," He teased.

She smiled with a small nod.

"Yeah, just that."

"I should probably get going," He said.

He stood and walked towards the door, she stood and followed but didn't say a word.

"Thank you, for dinner."

"You're welcome, thank you for trying to help me the other day."

He gave a small nod standing awkwardly in the doorway, he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. Usually, his dates ending in sex, on any surface and then he skipped out.

He wouldn't call this a date exactly but it was still dinner with an attractive and apparently single woman.

Deciding not to push his luck he opened the door and turned, stepping back onto the rickety porch. It creaked under his weight and he felt the boards shift, it was just a matter of time before they broke and someone got hurt, he couldn't help the nagging feeling it would be one of her children.

He stopped beside his bike looking back at the house, it was barely livable and he knew if Zeke were there he would insist that they help in some way. It was enough to guilt him the entire way back to his hotel where he checked in again for the night, positive that he would leave as soon as he fixed the porch.