( ¹¹ ) what you're doing ↬ b.h

━ what you're doingben hardy

what you're doing
ben hardy . . .

" well when you talk about destruction don't you know that you can count me out? " THE BEATLES .

_

you and ben have been best friends for years. it was safe to say that nobody who had met you could say that they knew a pair of individuals that got along better than the two of you.

however, there was one particular subject that could make you argue like fucking lunatics. and that subject was ben's smoking.

it started off in his mid-college years, just out of curiosity and to see what all the fuss was about. he wasn't the biggest fan of cigarettes back then but little by little, the addiction built up and before he knew it he was completely hooked to the habit.

and you and ben would have endless fights about him smoking. it could escalate to very brutal screaming if neither of you watched your words.

the thing is, that's usually where it would end. you'd fight about it but then get over it within a couple days of silence. but one day you decided enough was enough.

you were gonna get ben to stop smoking.

you were at his house one day, listening to music, just waiting for him to take the first drag, which he did. and when he did so, you snatched the cigarette from his fingers.

he gasped. "hey!"

"hey my ass, i'm done with this." you said sternly. "you can't keept doing this to yourself ben, what you're doing is gonna kill you."

ben sighed in frustration. "well y/n what do you want me to do? quitting is practically impossible nowadays."

"no it's not!" you exclaimed. "you're not in the seventies anymore ben, people don't just go around smoking like chimneys with huge clouds of smoke around them like it's an aesthetic!" you took a deep breath while ben was still staring at you. "i'm gonna get you to quit." you said, the flimpse of a smile showing on your lips.

ben's eyebrows shot up. "oh yeah. and how are you gonna do that?" he asked.

you thought about it for a minute before responding. "okay, here's what i'm thinking: everytime you feel like smoking, you're gonna call me. and i'm gonna come here and we're gonna do stuff to distract you. go to the movies, ice-cream, anything. just to make you forget about it. i promise it's gonna work. please? do this for me." you pouted, knowing ben was likely to do anything you wanted when you did that.

ben huffed, knowing that you meant well. who knew, maybe it would work. "okay, you win." he finally gave in.

"yay!" you squealed, throwing yourself in his arms. "thank you, thank you, thank you! you're not gonna regret it."

ben smiled, wrapping his arms around you. "okay." he whispered.

and from then on, the process started.

at first, of course, it was hard for ben to go you instead of the cigarette. but even if he wouldn't admit it, the fact that you cared so much about his health made his heart flutter with butterflies. so that's the feeling he'd try to focud on to take the final step and call you.

he could even call you at 3AM or some crazy shit like that and even if you were extremely tired for whatever reason, you'd get out of bed, drive to his place and watch a cheesy ass romantic movie with him.

eventually, the calls became less and less frequent until they only happened once a week at the most.

one time, however, ben decided not to call you. but to go to your house himself. when you heard a knock on your door and you went to open it, it's him that you found.

"i want to smoke." he said, a glimpse of pannic in his eyes.

you immediately perked up. "okay, what do you want to do? name it, anything."

in that moment, ben surged forward and smashed his lips against yours making you stumble back slightly. he was holding both of your cheeks.

you were shocked, yes. but you'd be lying to yourself if you said you hadn't wanted to know what it was like to kiss ben. and now that you were discovering it, you didn't want it to end.

when ben finally pulled away, he licked his lips. he bit the right side of his bottom lip with a smirk. "sorry." he said, his cheeks turning slightly pink. "had to stop the longing."

you smiled, trying to look at him in the eyes without stating helplessly at his lips. "the longing for smoking? or the longing for me?" you chuckled nervously.

ben narrowed his eyes in thought. "mmhm... both. mostly the second one. maybe. yeah."

you giggled, resting your forehead on his. his eyes darted to your lips. "so... did it stop?"

ben's smirk reapeared before he kissed you again. so that's a no.

you smiled against his lips, knowing that this was it, it was you and him from that moment on.

and just like that, ben never touched a cigarette again in his life.

_