( ³⁰ ) material girl ↬ f.m

━ material girlfreddie mercury

material girl
freddie mercury . . .

" if it makes you happy it can't be that bad, if it makes you happy then why the hell are you so sad? " SHERYL CROW .

_

you weren't one to read between the lines. but when it comes to your best friend, you might as well be a fucking FBI agent.

but at the same time, it didn't take an expert to realize that something had broken inside of freddie mercury. you and the band were the first ones to notice and, naturally, the first ones to show your concern. but every damn time, freddie would shrug you guys off, arguing that he was okay and that he had no idea what you guys meant by 'we know something's wrong, fred'.

you see, he had been dating this girl for a few months, her name was bethany. at first she seemed really sweet, and freddie was head over heels for her, claiming she was the love of his fucking life and you guys as his friends, couldn't be happier.

but as time went by, she started developping this very concerning shopping addiction. at first it was only her issue but things took a turn for the worst when freddie started literally financing her addiction. freddie woul always say that he gave her money willingly, but you knew better. you knew she guilt-tripped him into doing so.

you heard her yell at him this one time, saying that if he didn't do this for her that meant that 'he didn't love her like he used to' for her. freddie, of course, felt terrible and would give her money almost instantly. she didn't have her own money anymore, her addiction had swallowed it whole.

you were growing more and more tired of playing dumb and pretending that all of bethany's psychological abuse was all in your mind. you needed to get freddie out of that situation, but you didn't know how to. after all, you hated confrontation and in order to help him out you'd have to talk to him about the issue.

you weren't a fan of that, at all.

you let a few weeks slide, until one day, freddie came to queen rehearsal with huge bags under his eyes, rubbing his face to wake himself up. he let his entire weight fall on the couch, tilting his head bag and letting out a huge groan of exhaustation as he shut his eyes.

"woah." roger comented whilst he got his drumkit ready. "you okay, there fred?" you accompanied the question by looking at him with your eyebrows up.

freddie nodded. "yeah, just... long night." he said.

but you noticed a funny smell coming from his breath. it only took you a couple seconds to realize it was the ugly scent of whisky. "freddie mercury, you've been drinking." you said, very matter-of-factly, as you straightened yourself up to face him. freddie only sighed, not giving you a verbal answer, which only made you more anxious. "freddie." you said, sternly.